Looking for the brightest, widest coverage headlight aftermarket replacements, period. Cost is not an issue here... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's dark out here, and I'd like to have some bright, non-blinding headlamps so I don't have to activate the aircraft landing lights...

I’d be reading up on the retrofit options for projectors in depot housings. Believe there are a still a few people offering to assemble the packages and sell plug and play.

In my *very* limited experience, projectors are the best option for these old rigs. Get a clear lens housing like a Depo and graft whatever Morimoto projector model that will fit into them. A LED setup would be great, but the reflectors are wrong, so the scatter is horrible.

Last edited:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/img_6195-jpeg.3419488/
1699279350179.png

7” JW Speakers. These aren’t the absolute best out there but great bang for the buck. Very happy with this setup in remote areas without much ambient light.

I did H1 projectors with cheap H1 xenons/slim ballasts into a set of Depo headlights over 10 years ago, they're still doing great. I've gone through a few ballasts but the cheap Chinese Xenon H1 bulbs are still original and I just keep a pair of ballasts in my spares box. The retrofit itself is super straight forward once you take the Depo glass lens off the housings.

These are pretty much exactly what I used, I'm sure you could do higher quality with Morimoto or others, and I've always intended on redoing mine, but mine just keep working.
H1 Projectors
Slim 4300K Xenons

IMG_1561.png

Last edited:
Depo housings and morimoto d2s mini projectors. Pretty easy to install. Took one evening per headlight. Check out theretrofitsource.com

I doubt there is a better solution than high quality projectors for low beams. Its the dark season in AK and I like the output while not blinding traffic. The high beams are just silly bright.

IMG_20231023_213924_639.jpg

I did H1 projectors with cheap H1 xenons/slim ballasts into a set of Depo headlights over 10 years ago, they're still doing great. I've gone through a few ballasts but the cheap Chinese Xenon H1 bulbs are still original and I just keep a pair of ballasts in my spares box. The retrofit itself is super straight forward once you take the Depo glass lens off the housings.

These are pretty much exactly what I used, I'm sure you could do higher quality with Morimoto or others, and I've always intended on redoing mine, but mine just keep working.
H1 Projectors
Slim 4300K Xenons

View attachment 3474375
I have the same projectors. They work great.

You needs the headlights to remain legal, whatever that means for your jurisdiction.

Almost any sort of headlight is legal in AZ/NM, providing it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

Looks like I'm going to need a different pair of headlamp assemblies to install HID bulbs (Morimoto or PIAAs), as the ones currently in my LC are crappy halogens.

Lol. I'm not sure what it would take to get pulled over for blinding other motorists, but in my part of the country you could have the sun strapped to your bumper. There seems to be an arms race going on with headlights. I can see just fine if I'm the only one on the road, but at least a third of other drivers seem to be running bulbs that pose a legitimate threat to oncoming vehicles.

Lol. I'm not sure what it would take to get pulled over for blinding other motorists, but in my part of the country you could have the sun strapped to your bumper. There seems to be an arms race going on with headlights. I can see just fine if I'm the only one on the road, but at least a third of other drivers seem to be running bulbs that pose a legitimate threat to oncoming vehicles.
I think that's a nationwide problem. I passed a truck on the way home last night and noticed as I approached that he had some major light hitting the pavement in front of his truck. As came up alongside I couldn't help but notice that the lighting didn't extend very far out in front, in fact I could see that my 9011 equipped stock housings were putting light way up road in comparison his flamethrowers. He probably had some obnoxious LED's in older halogen housings that were bright as sheet but effectively did nothing. Once ahead of him those things were tragic, had to adjust my mirrors for sanity sake.

That said, this thread has me really thinking about a better solution for my rig.

"Bright as sheet but soft as a pillow?"
Ahem. I digest.
Digress.
On my previous 80 Series, I installed PIAA bulbs, which were terrific, and never seemed to disturb oncoming drivers.
I agree that most of the headlights that are causing issues are either improperly aimed, or improperly constructed.
I contacted Retrofit Source, and they told me they stock nothing for vehicles older than 2012.
In my search for a solution to my... my dismality, I've come across a company called Freedom Outfitters, which offers a high-end complete replacement for stock 80 Series headlights (I think). Not cheap, but perhaps a viable solution, given that finding OE headlight buckets is close to impossible...

7 inch round headlights will likely give you the most options. Truck lights and jw speakers are some of the most preached. I run marimoto 7 inchers and I like them a lot. However I have good night vision so I never run my brights. Also my cutoff is adjusted very low.

If you struggle to see at night then you might try to turn down interior lights. Make sure both headlights have the same cutoff height and keep it just below the average side mirror of people infront of you at say 30 feet. You don't need high beams ever if someone is in front of you anyway. Then when it is just you. Your high beams will have a very long throw.

I don't really use high beams much at all but I know people around me that tend to need them even in the daylight for some reason.

Reactions: ppc
Money no object, Freedom Retrofits makes a dual projector drop-in solution.

-Rob

Money no object, Freedom Retrofits makes a dual projector drop-in solution.

-Rob
$1400 and an 8-12 week lead time but man these look worth every penny~~!!

Yes, I saw the Freedom Outfitters web page. Checking further into this.
I'm thinking about selling a kidney to finance this, so if anybody's in the market...

US$1400 so (ignoring these will not be RHD compatible) they're super-expensive headlights! If they were made in a RHD compatible version they'd be a A$3000 purchase with exchange rate, freight, and import charges! Eek! Hope they are worth the money for the LHD folks that get them.

Going to be pretty tough to get 1980's technology headlights to be brighter than modern lightbars. In Alaska I have to imagine the population and road density are low enough you could just wire a light bar to your high beams?? I know my two 10" Rigid light bars are much brighter than my high beams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom