looking for opinions and what do you think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..
Threads
as most of you know for about 6 months now I have been slowly working on putting a fj40 body on a 92 fj80 frame...

well yesterday I had a brain fart while parking my 80 next to a first gen tacoma xtra cab...they were real close in size..tape measure in hand..real close..

so here is the idea..instead of the 40 body how about a tacoma cab and a tube bed on the fj80 chassis...

looking for some plus and minus ideas and you are not going to hut my feelings...if you hate the idea.. Just tell me what you think..

40 would have more "cool" factor IMO and seemingly be easier as it's all single wall tub. :)

I guess it would depend on what motor you are going to use; will it fit under the hood of a Taco? Will it be able to pass smog for the year of truck you are using? Whereas the 73 fj40 body will just have to pass the "sniffer" test vs having all of the current smog stuff for the current year or newer motor that you are going to have to use for that year of a truck.

Gotta agree with Keith, the 40 will cooler.

Jack

When and whatever I do when it comes to builds/fabrication--(which I avoid at all costs)--I remember the phrase. KISS-Keep it simple stupid:idea:. That being said I think either one would be awesome on an 80. I love the look and openess of the 40 when wheeling, it has a real advantage over a mini unless you pull the doors. You can also throw a backseat in the 40 for the little ones-not in a mini. If your going to need to tube the bed for a mini, wouldn't it be just as easy to tube the ass end of the 80 frame to make it fit? Good luck on whatever you do. It will wheel great whatever you stick on it. I respect you for doing it and having the skills as well. Just wouldn't be my cup of tea-so to speak.:wrench:

the motor is going to be a om617a mercedes..with a nv4500..so it will fit in bothh..

Hows about an extra cab FJ45 with a flat bed.
Shorten up the FJ40 cab but not as short as an FJ45, then add a flat bed. If you wanted to get really trick you could widen the body.

That would be a cool ride IMHO.

To me the Taco idea is kind of :meh: if your doing that much work you want people to take a second look at your truck. I doubt most people would take much notice of an extra cab Taco with a flat bed.

the motor is going to be a om617a mercedes..with a nv4500..so it will fit in bothh..

If it is a trail truck, then no worries, but if you plan on registering/smogging it, I don't think you will be able to with the (older) diesel in a Taco.

Jack

Trust me when I say that building an uber cool rig sucks when the smog nazi's won't let you register it. Even if you go the rural route and get it smogged out of Washoe county, it loses any resale value to people who have to smog their stuff.

well after much thought and convincing staying with the lengthened fj40 body... Time to get the sawzall out.. Anyone have a rusted out fj40 tub I can rob some sheetmetal off of ????

well after much thought and convincing staying with the lengthened fj40 body... Time to get the sawzall out.. Anyone have a rusted out fj40 tub I can rob some sheetmetal off of ????

I think that is a smart idea to be honest.
I was actaully thinking about this last night as I was driving home from work...There is NO real advantage to doing all the work to swap the taco to the 80 chassi. Youre really not upgrading that much over all it would seem.

Hollar if you need a hand.

Try to do all your lengthening in the straightest portion of the body you can find. Straight patch panels are a lot easier to patch and cover up.

planning on stretching right behind the doors..so it shouldn't be that bad.. The frame is about half done when I finish that then I will cut the body..

Need to start a build thread so I can keep track ..

I have been reading Keith's (chicago) and Dan's (D'animal) and getting some good ideas. Just need to finish my honney do list so I have more time....