Looking for a driver, in Atlanta,.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
to drive my FJ and tell me what the h*ll is wrong with it. This is strictly am on road vehicle.

What do I need to do to get it right? The ride and steering geometry is terrible, not the mention the suspension.

Sorry, Urban, but $250 for a diagnostic is too steep for me.

Thanks

What are you doing Sunday? I can ride up some time in the afternoon and have a look.

I don't even have to look at it to give you an idea.
Handling wise....
If it's been spring lifted, or especially shackle lifted, see if there are shims under the axle perches. If not, you'll need some. It's a good maintenance practice on all cruisers to adjust and lube the center pivot arm. It's had play on every one I have ever owned. Also check the ball and socket joint on the drag link right where it meets up to the steering box. If there is any play here, it can be adjusted out with the giant screw on the butt end. If no adjustment is left, look up the 2 penny fix. And lastly, if you have never replaced the tie rod ends, just go ahead and do it. They aren't that expensive and they make a huge difference on most any cruiser.
Now on to the ride....
Look and see if the springs are stock or aftermarket. If it's stock, check the bushings at each pivot and see if they are worn out. Also, check to see how much travel the axle has before hitting the bumpstops on the front axle. If it's an inch or less, your stock springs are toast. Now, if the springs have been replaced or the truck lifted, count the spring leaves. The more the merrier. If any of the leaves are much thicker than the rest or you only have three or four leaves, there's your problem. Good leaf springs have lots of thin leaves.

Checking for locker...put in neutral with brake off. lifted rear end. turned one of the wheels forward, as i did so, the one on the other side turned in the opposite direction. This normal for a stock differential?

That's an open diff. Stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom