looking for a bike like this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

~1972 Yamaha RT2 360 Enduro~..............4000 , 1 owner miles. Last ridden 5 months ago , Was told in Oct. when looked at "Should run fine with a tank of fuel". Been in proper storage for years, All original down to the tires, tool kit, Even includes the original owners manual. The signals were removed when new, placed in a box(included). No DMV hassles, been off the system/not ridden on public roads since 1975. Purcahse includes spare Forks/battery box/rear fender/and airbox-filter housing and intake hose just purchased as of 2-05-06 . Former Yamaha dealer owner / Family friend who sold it to us back in the day gave us this current assessment of the bikes condition as of 10-05-05 : " Needs - Forks tubes re-hardchromed(pitted, but not leaking), battery, tires, handlebars slightly bent(Dad fell into the barn door when 160 miles old @ 2mph, trying to put the kickstand down) , replace; exhaust headpipe retention springs @ barrel, muffler bolt at rear mount, lower chain guide. General service and check timing, and carburator for sediment/storage residual . Very Slight rusting of paint work". That's it. Fuel tank is clean(was drained) Yamalube used since new. Please do not e-us questions , this is all we know. As of 11-10 , fuel tank has been professionally sealed internally by a aircraft tank fabricator/sealer co. at a cost of $150 to prolong it's life as it was/is perfect, NO rust inside. (it was always stored full with ATF when not used) We have no computer , so If serious/ For contact; E-us Your name/phone # for replies and we'll call you Tues~ Sat . Thank You. ( And for all you Search Engine responders- I'm in the San Francisco Bay area, and will work with you on shipping. Try www.forwardair.com they 're set up for motorcycles ) .

Frick, ya wanna talk old school motorcycle restoration it would be WhiteSharks neighbor across the street.

Guy is a total peckerhead but he's got like 40-50 bikes of every make, year & model, in a special shed along his side yard, and a few more in his garage.

If I could get some pics I would but like I said the guy's an asshat. Never says hi & if he see's people starting to admire his work, he shuts the garage door.

He did say once that his wife made him sell off the majority of his restored bikes. Amazing what a little alcohol will do to an asshat.

I wouldn't spend 2k (i think is what it said) on something like that IMHO because it is so old. you can find something much newer in just as nice of shape for that or just at least 5k easy. if you do want it though make sure to check over everything not sure on these but some of these bikes had wet clutches for example and after sitting for a while the half of the clutch not in the oil will dry out, when you go to start riding it will go out (new clutch) because it has not been properly lubed through out the years, same thing can go for the rings too, you probably know this from ever buying a 30 year old car that has been sittin for 25 years or whatever. otherwise i'm just saying if you are inexperienced in these things take it in to a good dirbike/motorcycle dealer that handles these and have them do a good inspection of it. if you're not sure of things do some more looking around, but if you want it have at it because it should be fun and it is a classic

just my $.02

vintage bikes are awesome.

dirt bikes are awesome.

vintage dirt bikes are possibly not so awesome. you really want to know what you're doing when buying one of these. offroad bikes are usually ridden hard. leaking oil? need a top end rebuild? etc etc.

all i'm saying is that if you don't know what you're looking at, do the research or else you'll end up with someone else's problem.

... i'm saying all this and i own a 69 Honda CL350. it's a vintage bike and wasn't beat up. rides like a champ. i've owned a few of these and know them well - so i knew what to look/listen for when buying. as far as gas - i get 50MPG.

just be aware. there really are a lot of bikes available. don't rush.

I had the 360 MX model back in the day, with a street legal kit I bought at some shop in Denver. Had a battery that attached to the cross bar on the handel bar. I just remember seizing it. Lots. Fast as hell, very very pipey, could only ride it if you rode like you were mad at it. I'm sure the street version was much more rideable, but there's lots of bikes in this price range. A nice used KLR+650 can be hand close to this price...it's reliable, water cooled, much much better suspension, and can handle just about any dual sport ride, including around the world. Old dirtbikes are just that, old. Suspension sucks. Electrics suck. Fuel injection (wasn't any on the mx model) sucks. I'd pass.

What I am really looking for is a cl450 or the older one. I love these bikes. Thanks for all the advice so far. I am going to sit and wait until the right thing comes along at a better price. thanks again.
mike

I already have been drooling over that BMW since you posted it. It is just way out of my budget. I am looking for something under $2,000. I would really like to get something decent in the $1,000 range.

I kind of like that one too, and have looked at the ad several times. I might have seen it on another site.

looks kinda like the one from Grease 2

Just had to chime in....no point saving gas when you're a quad drooling in a wheel chair. If you haven't updated your rider training, do it ahead of everything else. I've seen far too many bad motorcycle accidents. I love bikes but sold mine last year, and now stick to the cruiser. Every year I'm on the roads and think the driving can't get any worse, it does. On a bike, you are just so invisible to NA drivers. Beware....

Generally, I agree....take a MSF course, either experienced or beginner, train and practice your skills....ride like you're invisible and every one is out to kill you...

And...ATGATT...All The Gear, All The Time...Helmet, Armored Jacket, Gloves, Armored Pants and good Motorcycle boots!

Enjoy the Ride!

-H-

Wow, that brings back some memories. It looks almost identical to the 71 CT1 (175cc) that I learned to ride on as a kid. I wouldn't think it'd be a good road bike, but definately "old school" cool, nonetheless.

I set a 71 Kaw 350 Big Horn out on the front lawn some years back...as I recall pretty much the same animal. $2k seems a bit out of line for a lawn ornament. My .02. Since were talking old crap...anyone need a NOS/NIB tach for a 72 Honda SL125 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom