Looking for a '96-'98 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm moving to Germany and will be there 3+ years. I'd like to get a '96-'98 diesel 4-door, that way it will be 25 y/o and I can bring it back to the US when I return. I've heard there can be issues with the 4.0 D-4d, any thoughts? Any other recommendations when looking for one?

The issues are no worse than any other diesel engines with electronics. This is not a D4D engine, I think they arrived after this model with the 1KD FTE engine
One weak point is the plastic and aluminum radiator. But if kept maintained is usually ok. This engine is the 1KZ TE and the 4dr version is the KZJ95, you would probably get more replies in the diesel forum, there are few owners of similar engines

In europe there is a 90 series with D4D engine.
The issue was pretty simple, but could get really expensive if not taken care of. The problem was the sealing washers under the injectors wouldn't seal. That resulted in combustion gasses going past the injectors which are under the rocker cover. That polluted the engine oil so bad it would clog the filter of the oil pump in the sump. Which results in running an engine without oil pressure.

Diesels are getting cheap in Germany because you can hardly travel into cities anymore.

D4D didnt arrive till 2000. He is looking for a 96-98

Last edited:
Didn't the 105 series start in 98? Thats one im looking forward to

The 105 series is really an updated 80 series. This is the 90 series forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom