Wanted Looking for a 40 in the $15-25,000 range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Hey everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on here in hopes of getting my own fj40 eventually. I came pretty close about 5 years ago but then life happened so haven't really been able to do much for the last few years. In any event, I'm in a better position to buy and if I can find the right fit I'd like to finally make it happen. I lost out on another one to a guy who wired $$ site unseen for a vehicle before I could get to it after work last week. It's been a little disheartening to say the least. Seems like everyone either wants a billion dollars for a polished turd or there's a decent buy that gets sold within 10 minutes to a guy who has way more time and availability than me. Because of that, I figured I'd cast a wider net and see if someone knows anyone who's thinking of selling a 40 but hasn't gotten to it yet.

Anyways here is what I'm ideally hoping for:

-I want a driver. It can be a project but ideally I'd like something i can drive now and restore over time in the winters. Given my budget, I don't think i'll find a ton of 40's already "finished."
-Can't do a rock crawler. Something that's been modded to death is just not for me. Needs to be reasonably like a 40. If I wanted a buggy I'd feel much better hacking a jeep up than a 40.
-US spec. Not into imports.
-budget is around $15-25,000. Maybe can stretch a little if I find a diamond in the rough.
-Ideally 1970-1974. Older is ok too but not in love with the bench seat and no roll bar
-Must have a hard top and doors
-Rust is a given with these things but it needs to be repairable and reasonable. Can't get into having to replace/rework every panel on the tub or be dealing with frame rust at mounting points.
-Manual Transmission
-Engine swaps not preferred but ok if they're correctly done. Same with disk brakes, PS, axles swaps, etc
-steel body. Not interested in fiberglass or aluminum.
-dont care about color
-I'd rather rusty and mostly original so I know what I'm getting rather than the fly by night backyard paint jobs over bondo that get marked up. I value those less.
-I hate diamond plate with a burning passion. Just can't stomach it. If I know what's underneath and can pull it off as part of a restoration maybe but no one ever puts those on for a good reason.
-clear title (i'm not gonna drop money on something that's bill of sale only or applying for title)

If any one knows of anything that fits into this range feel free to reach out. I'm currently living in MI and these are much harder to come by than when I lived in socal but the dream still remains. Additionally, if anyone has any advice on trying to buy a nearly 50 year old vehicle (probably remotely) please let me know. Obviously I know the basic questions to ask but I'm more worried about the business side of things like how to safely put a deposit or pay to a buyer I may not live near given my location. I know people will probably say this is what a ton of people are looking for which is true but I figured you don't know until you ask/try

Thanks in advance for any help or advice guys!

That's exactly what I want too! except the budget, and I want original paint with patina

If it has all the original smog equipment that truck checks enough other boxes I’d consider it despite the year. I’ll email the guy, thanks for the lead

I have a 78 in excellent condition. Garaged for 25 years, very little rust. 85% restored , thousands in parts. $23k as is $32k finished
The picture is old, roll bar is gone, front bumper is OEM/NOS, hubs are Aisin NOS, custom made 8x15 steelies with NOS hubcaps, seats are reupholstered, jumps are installed and reupholstered, tons of new parts, some not installed yet.

DSC_0245.JPG

Last edited:
I have a 78 in excellent condition. Garaged for 25 years, very little rust. 85% restored , thousands in parts. $23k as is $32k finished
The picture is old, roll bar is gone, front bumper is OEM/NOS, hubs are Aisin NOS, seats are reupholstered, jumps are installed and reupholstered, tons of new parts, some not installed yet.

View attachment 3022963
Where you located at?

Hey everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on here in hopes of getting my own fj40 eventually. I came pretty close about 5 years ago but then life happened so haven't really been able to do much for the last few years. In any event, I'm in a better position to buy and if I can find the right fit I'd like to finally make it happen. I lost out on another one to a guy who wired $$ site unseen for a vehicle before I could get to it after work last week. It's been a little disheartening to say the least. Seems like everyone either wants a billion dollars for a polished turd or there's a decent buy that gets sold within 10 minutes to a guy who has way more time and availability than me. Because of that, I figured I'd cast a wider net and see if someone knows anyone who's thinking of selling a 40 but hasn't gotten to it yet.

-I want a driver. It can be a project but ideally I'd like something i can drive now and restore over time in the winters. Given my budget, I don't think i'll find a ton of 40's already "finished."
-Can't do a rock crawler. Something that's been modded to death is just not for me. Needs to be reasonably like a 40. If I wanted a buggy I'd feel much better hacking a jeep up than a 40.
-budget is around $15-25,000. Maybe can stretch a little if I find a diamond in the rough.
-Ideally 1970-1974. Older is ok too but not in love with the bench seat and no roll bar
-Rust is a given with these things but it needs to be repairable and reasonable. Can't get into having to replace/rework every panel on the tub or be dealing with frame rust at mounting points.
-Manual Transmission
-Engine swaps not preferred but ok if they're correctly done. Same with disk brakes, PS, axles swaps, etc
-dont care about color
-I'd rather rusty and mostly original so I know what I'm getting rather than the fly by night backyard paint jobs over bondo that get marked up. I value those less.
-I hate diamond plate with a burning passion. Just can't stomach it. If I know what's underneath and can pull it off as part of a restoration maybe but no one ever puts those on for a good reason.
-clear title (i'm not gonna drop money on something that's bill of sale only or applying for title)

If any one knows of anything that fits into this range feel free to reach out. I'm currently living in MI and these are much harder to come by than when I lived in socal but the dream still remains. Additionally, if anyone has any advice on trying to buy a nearly 50 year old vehicle (probably remotely) please let me know. Obviously I know the basic questions to ask but I'm more worried about the business side of things like how to safely put a deposit or pay to a buyer I may not live near given my location. I know people will probably say this is what a ton of people are looking for which is true but I figured you don't know until you ask/try

Cnosek, I'm new to the forum, I'm assisting my brother in Alabama in sale of his mostly all original 1971 FJ40 in good condition. There is some diamond plate over light rust only before paint job. I'm working to establish value for him also. If you have interest: 303-907-2232. Thanks. Chris

IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

Cnosek, I'm new to the forum, I'm assisting my brother in Alabama in sale of his mostly all original 1971 FJ40 in good condition. There is some diamond plate over light rust only before paint job. I'm working to establish value for him also. If you have interest: 303-907-2232. Thanks. Chris

View attachment 3032850

View attachment 3032851

View attachment 3032852

View attachment 3032854

View attachment 3032857
So he painted the truck leaving light rust and just covered it with the diamond plate?

So he painted the truck leaving light rust and just covered it with the diamond plate?
That's correct. I just took quite a few pictures of the inside body, backside of the diamond plate showing intact body. Is email best to send to you? Lots of other pictures also.

Hey everyone,

-Manual Transmission
-dont care about color

Good afternoon, Not sure if you are still looking or found a cruiser to your liking. I have a 1967 FJ40 that is 90% plus original. belonged to my father and I have had ownership for approximately 20 years. Original Phx. AZ. vehicle with appr. 66k miles. all original drive train. 3 speed, 1F engine. dealer added A\C. Rust free beige. Feel free to contact me if you would like some pictures. Was going to list for 28k but would be negotiable within reason. Located in Gilbert AZ. Also interested in a partial trade for an older Tacoma 4wd. prefer long bed. Thanks, Gary 480-202-6040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom