LoneRangers '98 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8000 myself. Snatch block if necessary. My strategy is to travel with friends with bigger winches.

2nd the snatch block.

Also, mud is known to be like a vacuum. Can take way more to break the suction than under normal circumstances.

So I got into some water/mud yesterday and fried something. I drove home fine but when I tried to start it again, nothing. Not even a dashboard light. I put a brand new battery in. Still nothing. What stops electricity from getting to any vehicle component. '98 4runner.

STARTER.

What he said ^^^ Guaranteed it's full of mud.
Car electrics aren't my thing, but even though I could see a bad starter preventing the engine from turning over - or even making a sound - it seems unlikely a bad starter would be the sole cause preventing any other electrical component from operating, lighting up, etc.

My initial thought is a bad ground somewhere or water finally running down into a fuse / relay panel. Exactly how MUCH water did you get into?

Car electrics aren't my thing, but even though I could see a bad starter preventing the engine from turning over - or even making a sound - it seems unlikely a bad starter would be the sole cause preventing any other electrical component from operating, lighting up, etc.

My initial thought is a bad ground somewhere or water finally running down into a fuse / relay panel. Exactly how MUCH water did you get into?
It wasn't even all that deep. I think I took it a little too fast and got a big splash. We found a loose ground wire yesterday, hooked that up and got dashboard lights. Turned the key and: click. All dark again. The fuses all look good. Gonna clean everything this morning and try again.

Did you clean down to bare metal with the loose ground? Add a star washer between the ground and the mating surface. Sounds to me like your ground is good enough for the low amperage for dash lights, but not enough for starting amperage.

Did you clean down to bare metal with the loose ground? Add a star washer between the ground and the mating surface. Sounds to me like your ground is good enough for the low amperage for dash lights, but not enough for starting amperage.
i'll check that

You win! I sanded the terminals and tightened the ground wire some more. Cranked right up. thanks. Saved me a trip to the shop. I was about to give up.

So I'm experiencing a brake bleed mystery. I replaced the master cylinder and couldn't get the brake to bleed properly. We thought maybe Autozone had sold us a bad part so we took the new master cylinder back and exchanged it. Still the same problem. Not seeing any evidence of a blown wheel cylinder. No leakage and nothing but clear, bubble free fluid coming from all 4 bleeder screws. Going to try tightening up the rear brake shoes tomorrow. Any thoughts on why I still have a spongy brake pedal?

I’m not familiar with the 98 but does it have a rear lspv? If so, start bleeding there

There is a bleeder on it. And basically start there, it is the highest point other than the resi. Lspv-> rear wheels -> front wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom