Local welders - 100 series rear cross member only minimalist rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Based on the white trucks use, I am considering a rear cross member bumper. I saw this on instagram.

I do not want swingouts or a large overhang in the rear and the spare will live inside and be the base for the air mattress.

Any recommended welders around that could assist in building the wings, add recovery points, a 2 inch receiver for a bike rack and side protection like the white 80 pictured below?

Also and insights greatly appreciated.

6E0DBA5F-363E-4117-B678-45CCA126134E.png

2DB28806-F508-433B-A1E1-87127A64B059.jpeg

2EF815D5-3B9D-46E9-8C99-0EFB10E88B8A.jpeg

Last edited:
With it all welded together, repairs will be difficult should it need repairs in the future. That's the beauty of bolt on bumpers.

That being said, I like it a lot.

I really like the look of that last truck. Wonder if you could do the ‘pieces’ as bolt on vs welded? Would be easy to use rivnuts, I freaking love those things.

Rivnuts wouldn't be strong enough imo. Weld nuts would be a better option.

I tried rivnuts to hold my skidplate into the frame, but there are two issues:

1. Standard rivnuts can only "pinch" onto sheetmetal. The frame/crossmember material has to be thinned out for a rivnut to compress properly on the frame, which is not desirable.
2. If you do all that, the rivnuts tend to rust, and when that happens, it freezes to the bolt, and spins in the hole instead of holding like it's supposed to. This is miserable to cut apart and fish out of the frame.

Seems like the ideal solution, and I thought so too, but it doesn't work out that way in reality unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom