Load Index Too Light? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm curious to know what others think about these tires. The claimed weight of only 59lbs is tempting for a 35x12.50.

I've been happily running C load KO2's for about 40k miles and I'm comfortable going with C's again, my use doesn't warrant anything more HD than that. But the max load figure of these Toyo's is just 2405lbs and 35psi max makes me cautious. That sounds potentially dangerously lightweight to me but I'm no expert. Vehicle in question is a 2007 100 series, not heavily armored up. Appreciate your thoughts!

Toyo A/T III's are excellent tires, IMHO. From your link, the 2 different versions of that size indicates to me, anyways, that size is popular for a variety of truck sizes. The C rated should work well for the use you indicated. I recently put some A/T III's (LT 31X10.50R15) on a Ranger FX4 and am very pleased with them. I'm currently running A/T II's (LT 315X75R16) on my 80 series and have been well satisfied with their performance both on and off road. The A/T III's are an improvement in almost every area to the A/T II's, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Toyo A/T III's are excellent tires, IMHO. From your link, the 2 different versions of that size indicates to me, anyways, that size is popular for a variety of truck sizes. The C rated should work well for the use you indicated. I recently put some A/T III's (LT 31X10.50R15) on a Ranger FX4 and am very pleased with them. I'm currently running A/T II's (LT 315X75R16) on my 80 series and have been well satisfied with their performance both on and off road. The A/T III's are an improvement in almost every area to the A/T II's, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Thanks. I'm specifically concerned about the 111 load index (2405lbs) on these exact tires though, not the C load rating. Coincidentally 111 is the same load index as the factory P275/60R18 Dunlop Grandtrek which is good for a stock vehicle but maybe not mine(?).

For comparison, these C load range 35x11.50 Toyo A/T III's have a load index of 118 (2910lbs) and a maximum allowable 50psi. Even though they are 1" narrower they weigh 4lbs more than the 12.50's. I would have no worry about running these tires as the load index is heavier than my current KO2's (113).

So really what I'm asking is can I get another 1" of tire width and save 4lbs per corner in the process? Or are those "lightweight" 12.50's just asking for trouble?

Last edited:
That's a good question. The Toyo website isn't much help to answer it.

You might talk to some one at a tire shop for their take on it. Sounds to me that the "lightweight 12.50" is just that. So I would guess the price should reflect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom