LJ78 snorkel?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,

Is there a recommended snorkel for the LJ78? I have searched the archives, found some mentions, but I haven't found anything concrete. I believe the ram head is going to be best for cooling the engine which is my purpose personally. Anybody have any recs or experience they would like to share?

Thanks!
JH

To be honest I don't think the snorkel adds much benefit at all if your main objective is engine cooling. They have become more of an "form over function" modification these days.

Hey everybody,

Is there a recommended snorkel for the LJ78? I have searched the archives, found some mentions, but I haven't found anything concrete. I believe the ram head is going to be best for cooling the engine which is my purpose personally. Anybody have any recs or experience they would like to share?

Thanks!
JH

Your best options for better cooling are:

Cheap:
- Service (or replace with new) the viscous fan hub.
- Run the later 2lte model 82C thermostat. Toyota part number: 16340-54040
- Remove the EGR emissions system completely, including throttle plate in throttle body.
- Make sure intake manifold and ports into engine are clean and not full of sludge (builds up from emissions).
- Run a bit higher boost - maybe 12psi with no intercooler.
- Remove A/C condenser from in front of radiator (if you don't use A/C anyhow)

Expensive:
- Thicker radiator core (56mm or thicker)
- Intercool the motor (front mount intercooler)
- Larger diameter exhaust
- Run high boost once intercooled - 17psi+
- Replace turbo with modern more efficient one

They use to vary in price from about $100 for cheap knockoffs from Malaysia and over $300 for the quality ARB types.
Look on ebay or on the internet for LJ70,72,73 78,79 . The all have the same front. I dont think the fixed or hinged windscreens are different. The KZJ7* and petrol versions should also work.
Note the position of the air filter before you purchase one.
Their real benefit it is deep water fording and convoy work on dusty roads

Great info!! Thank y'all for taking the time to help me out. I do like the look, but definitely will not just depend on it to cool the engine.

Thanks again!

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom