LJ78 Prado Air Water Intercooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
EDIT: Finished install thread is here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/745872-lj78-air-water-intercooler-working.html

I've decided it's time for an intercooler on my Prado. I think the lack of factory intercooler is half the failing of the overworked little 2lte engine.

Call me insane, but I want to be able to tow a 2500lb camper trailer with my Prado. I expect I'll be boosting pretty high constantly while towing even on the flat, so a highly effective intercooler is a must.

Adding an intercooler to the LJ78 Prado is a bit of a PITA. The most common option is to cut a hole in the hood to do a top mount intercooler. These suffer heat soak, poor air flow and offer minimal performance. Another option is a large front mount which means completely removing the A/C system to make room for the piping. My wife wants me to keep the A/C though, as our cruiser will be used for family vacations in summer. So the front mount is out.

So I had to think outside the box. A water to air intercooler became the best option, as it is by far the best performer, and it's easy to run the small coolant lines to a front mount heat exchanger. Normally these systems cost a fortune, however I scored a decent used setup on Ebay for $240 shipped to my door. I've got a bunch of leftover 2" aluminum intercooler piping at home that I'll use for the charge pipes in the engine bay. I'll use some general purpose heater hose, and may share my radiator expansion tank, as I'll run the same rad fluid in the intercooler system.

Heres a few pics of the parts coming in the mail:
Heat Exchanger (26"x7"x2"):
T2eC16hykE9s7tyfS2BQdGYrOcQ60_57.jpg

Bosch water pump:
KGrHqJogFBvJtGIbJBQdGYoU360_57.jpg

Subaru Legacy RS water air intercooler core (will get sandblasted and repainted, don't worry, haha):
KGrHqNiMFzFerdI1BQdGYmGN9g60_57.jpg

KGrHqNjkFBN81Er8rBQdGYnSSUw60_57.jpg

I'll post more pics and some feedback on performance once I get it all installed in early November. Around the same time I plan to re-do the down pipe and exhaust. Should make a big difference...

Also, here is my engine bay. The intercooler core will sit between the battery and fuel filter. Charge piping will run across the top of the engine.
SAM_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Watching with interest..
I am doing the same but with one of these.
Intercooler005_640x480.jpg

And one of these.
Intercooler001_640x480.jpg

Also using a toyota pump from a Supra.

curious to see how this turns out.
I was originally going to go this route for my 1hz.
I changed my mind after being pointed to some reading and discussing it with some intercooler people.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/techFAQ.html#FAQ_5

I think the whole heat sync thing can be eliminated by running a fan.
STIs for example use a water sprayer that helps things out.
Even Toyota doesn't use a fan for its new top mount on the v8 tdi cruisers.
I probably won't run one for simplicity sake and for the fact if of of my cores fail i don't have water going into my cylinders.

I too am curious but its funny how there are so many different stories / facts out there.
Had a read thru the bellintercoolers FAQ page... And it was almost the exact opposite as the water air boys thoughts on the air to air...hahahahaha
I think its one of those "It Depends"
All to do with driving style...And also engine type....
Petrol engines tend to boost in squirts.
Diesels tend to be on low boost most of the time and spike when pushed.
I know my top mount air to air gives me a 40C difference and can drop temps when spiked by 55C.
Thats on road driving. Off road its worse as there is minimal airflow and even with the fan on I cant replicate road driving...
So for me reading all the guff on the net and seeing results / graphs thought to give the water air a go....
I want my off road performance of the intercooler setup improved (driving slow with those sudden bursts of grunt required to negotiate bogs, hills etc etc)
Oh and keep those EGT temps down....Push it longer....

I too am curious but its funny how there are so many different stories / facts out there.
Had a read thru the bellintercoolers FAQ page... And it was almost the exact opposite as the water air boys thoughts on the air to air...hahahahaha
I think its one of those "It Depends"
All to do with driving style...And also engine type....
Petrol engines tend to boost in squirts.
Diesels tend to be on low boost most of the time and spike when pushed.
I know my top mount air to air gives me a 40C difference and can drop temps when spiked by 55C.
Thats on road driving. Off road its worse as there is minimal airflow and even with the fan on I cant replicate road driving...
So for me reading all the guff on the net and seeing results / graphs thought to give the water air a go....
I want my off road performance of the intercooler setup improved (driving slow with those sudden bursts of grunt required to negotiate bogs, hills etc etc)
Oh and keep those EGT temps down....Push it longer....

For sure, test it out. I know of a few people that are quite happy with the water to air thing. Its a pain in the ass with the ac crap in front of the rad. I am just wanting to go a more simplistic route.

I do see how water to air would be better for offroad applications.
I am curious to see how mine turns out when I get the whole top mount thing sorted out in this next year.

Thanks for the replies. I've read quite a bit about the advantages of air/air and air/water. I think in my case the air/water will offer the best performance. Apparently having a large front mount heat exchanger with good air flow is the key to having the system work well (the core size at the engine is less critical). I may add a couple of 6.5" Spal fans to the heat exchanger if there is room. Fans can really improve the performance of an intercooler setup, especially at low vehicle speed. The fans will also increase air flow through my engine radiator which won't hurt anything either.

I found a thread on the surf forums were a fellow compared an air/air top mount to an air/water setup with his 3lte setup. It helped convince me to go this route. http://dahn.webcity.com.au/~toy49040/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21269

I look forward to seeing how your setup works out kbushnz! Looks like you're off to a good start with it.

I plan to have my setup running by the middle of November, so will update then.

Very cool. I do really enjoy reading peoples findings.
What I am curious to see and should ask someone that frequents the forum on how he is noticing his w2a set up for sustained highway runs. That is my biggest concern.

I'm a fan. want laminova cores, but no one makes laminova intercoolers for a reasonable price. been trying to find out of they came stock with any cars. I see people building custom laminova intercoolers online but theyre skills are beyond me.
I want i want i want lol.

Gtssportcoupe how is this mod coming any update?

Chad

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUDp

Hey All, I bought a different air/water unit for in the engine bay (as the subaru one did not fit without a lot of work), plus I got all the outstanding pipe and silicone couplers/clamps. It's all ready to go. Just trying to find time... I'll post up more pics and info soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom