Lj78 glow system partially functionig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi every one I own 1991 lj78 Prado with 2.4lt e with turbo diesel injected over 3years from day one I have had rough idle and lots off smoke(diesel smell) in the morning first start for few mins or till the temp gage reach up ti 1/4 .
I have replaced glow plugs with 11v NGk
Checked relays all groundding/bonding,wiring etc .
It seems I I have volt meter to groundand positive to the glow rail with first preheat cycle 6 seconds 11v present then there is no power at all
The fist relay(drumstyle) Klick in but I cannot confirm 2nd relay clicking but inspected it its mint am I having issues wit 2nd relay or the preheating timer?
I have isolated the glow system by running jumper to the glow rail to the +battery terminal for 15sec it starts and run perfectly even in -30 weather
Any one have any suggestin greatly appreciated

Hi every one I own 1991 lj78 Prado with 2.4lt e with turbo diesel injected over 3years from day one I have had rough idle and lots off smoke(diesel smell) in the morning first start for few mins or till the temp gage reach up ti 1/4 .
I have replaced glow plugs with 11v NGk
Checked relays all groundding/bonding,wiring etc .
It seems I I have volt meter to groundand positive to the glow rail with first preheat cycle 6 seconds 11v present then there is no power at all
The fist relay(drumstyle) Klick in but I cannot confirm 2nd relay clicking but inspected it its mint am I having issues wit 2nd relay or the preheating timer?
I have isolated the glow system by running jumper to the glow rail to the +battery terminal for 15sec it starts and run perfectly even in -30 weather
Any one have any suggestin greatly appreciated
Seems to me you already isolated the second relay as not sending voltage for the afterglow... you can further isolate the timer if the voltage is going to the second relay. If it IS, then the relay is pooched. They can look brand new and yet be failed internally. Some folks have taken them apart and serviced them, pending the problem inside.

If no voltage is coming from the timer to the second relay after the initial glow, then the timer/ECU could be the issue, and likely due to leaking capacitors. This can also be serviced with a deft hand and a good eye soldering in new capacitors if the circuit board is not too far gone from leaking capacitors.

Thanks Rigster I shall try this the only thing is the second relay is 189$ on ebay and the glow module is $300 to $ 600 I just want to pin point the exact issue b4 I spend fortune on the parts .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom