LJ78 Audio Speaker sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 91 LJ78 and have been driving around with the stock stereo w/ mp3 adapted through the cassette . Well the crackheads in Vancouver reminded me that even running into the store is out... and I'm left with just the stock system again. I did read earlier posts about buzzing speakers (rotting around the edges) and I know Im in the same boat. I'm wondering the sizes of all the speakers?? Has anyone completed the complete operation? Ideally I want to change out the deck Tuner/Cass/CD for a Mini-Disc add new speakers and hopefully have money for an Amp too.

Any advice?
Thanks
bakasan

INFO

:) Find a really good audio shop that dose the entire install including new speakers,amp etc..:)

The speakers in the rear of my lj78 were factory but had rotted around the edges(surrounds).. The speaker frame was ok but formed to fit the space (bolt patern).. and was used to make a template to create a mount to mount the new speakes into then bolted into that same space... using same threaded bolt holes. Not hard to do just takes some time..

If you are going to do any thing with the front speakers I think the dash has to come apart to get at them.. Mine were ok so the originals were left in.

You will need to know which connectors you have on the harness that plug into your existing radio / cassette..( there is a posting here that illustrates the different types) Once you know that and know what new radio cd player you are going to install you can go to a car audio store and pick up a jumper prewired to plug into the harness and then plug into your new radio/ cd player, it greatly simplifies the installation.. no cutting wires or harneses..
If you are going to add an amp for say a sub then that can be done seperatly..

Hope this helps ..:grinpimp:

the fronts are 4" and you need to access these through the heater vents on both sides, if I remember correctly I had to pull the duct work on the drivers side which meant loosening other things I believe a 10mm socket and a number to phillips srewdriver to remove.

The rears are 6" or 6.5", remove rear fold up seats, and then pop out the rear panels.

Do you have the premium sound system with tape and CD player in the front dash, if so you'll be in the same predicament as me if you plan on changing the deck too. There is two factory amplifiers in the back, and a whole lot of wires, I guess Toyota or some aftermarket company makes a adapter plug, ask Wayne about it, he's helping me out with that too.

Hope this helps you out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom