Lightweight & Offroad capable retail trailers ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bludozer

SILVER Star
Threads
Seems like most of the threads here are from guys with more more time and talent than me building their own trailers. I have a lot of respect for you all, but I am less fortunate in regards to both of those things :flipoff2:

So I am considering retail models, and would love some suggestions. I will be towing this with my (about to be 5.29'd) 80 series, here is what I am looking for.

- as light weight as possible (2-3k lbs. ideal)
- ability to run a 35" tire with no real hassle
- slide out kitchen
- water tank/pump
- large sized trailer top tent (or ability to sleep 4 comfortably)
- bomb proof

Previous top contender had been the AT chaser, but seems as though they are hard to come by these days - and I'm not sure I'm too crazy about the air suspension. What are your thoughts?

Interesting, I didn't know that Adventure Trailer no longer actually makes trailers.

Why the 35" tire requirement? Guys get hung up on wanting all the same size tire on everything and usually end up with a trailer that isn't terribly stable at speed.

Interesting, I didn't know that Adventure Trailer no longer actually makes trailers.

Why the 35" tire requirement? Guys get hung up on wanting all the same size tire on everything and usually end up with a trailer that isn't terribly stable at speed.
Valid point I guess, a 35" would be nice for matching purposes but I guess that is lowish on my list of requirements.

...............So I am considering retail models, and would love some suggestions. I will be towing this with my (about to be 5.29'd) 80 series, here is what I am looking for.

- as light weight as possible (2-3k lbs. ideal)
- ability to run a 35" tire with no real hassle
- slide out kitchen
- water tank/pump
- large sized trailer top tent (or ability to sleep 4 comfortably)
- bomb proof

Previous top contender had been the AT chaser, but seems as though they are hard to come by these days - and I'm not sure I'm too crazy about the air suspension. What are your thoughts?
First off, your choice of 5.29 is an excellent choice, IMHO, if you're running 35" tires with the 1FZ engine and significant armor (steel bumpers, skid plates and sliders). I know cause that's what I'm running with my '94.

Your 1st requirement "light weight" and your last requirement "bomb proof" don't work together, though. If you want bomb proof it's going to be heavy - or heavier than a less rugged model. My CVT utility trailer was built to be taken on the Rubicon, but it's HEAVY - 2000 lbs empty - compared to my Three Feathers teardrop which is 1400 lbs.

I was running 35" matched tires on my utility, but my teardrop would need a lift (and a hub change) to match tires of my LC. If you carry a puncture kit with an air compressor and don't run bald or heavily worn tires, you don't need a spare. A blow out would not be a good thing, though.

You will need a huge RTT to sleep 4 if you mount it to a utility trailer. You could also get a teardrop with a roof rack and mount a mid size or 2 person RTT on it.

I'm like you - not having - the skills to build my own, so when I started wanting to go from a rig mounted RTT to an off road trailer for overlanding, I wanted a Lead Dog off road extreme but the wait time was a year or more by the time I was financially set to purchase one. I settled for getting the CVT utility style, at 1/2 the co$t and outfitting it with things I could migrate over, when and if I got a teardrop. It also gave me the opportunity to find out if "trailering" was something I could tolerate, with out breaking the bank.

Hope this helps in your search for a trailer!

First off, your choice of 5.29 is an excellent choice, IMHO, if you're running 35" tires with the 1FZ engine and significant armor (steel bumpers, skid plates and sliders). I know cause that's what I'm running with my '94.

Your 1st requirement "light weight" and your last requirement "bomb proof" don't work together, though. If you want bomb proof it's going to be heavy - or heavier than a less rugged model. My CVT utility trailer was built to be taken on the Rubicon, but it's HEAVY - 2000 lbs empty - compared to my Three Feathers teardrop which is 1400 lbs.

I was running 35" matched tires on my utility, but my teardrop would need a lift (and a hub change) to match tires of my LC. If you carry a puncture kit with an air compressor and don't run bald or heavily worn tires, you don't need a spare. A blow out would not be a good thing, though.

You will need a huge RTT to sleep 4 if you mount it to a utility trailer. You could also get a teardrop with a roof rack and mount a mid size or 2 person RTT on it.

I'm like you - not having - the skills to build my own, so when I started wanting to go from a rig mounted RTT to an off road trailer for overlanding, I wanted a Lead Dog off road extreme but the wait time was a year or more by the time I was financially set to purchase one. I settled for getting the CVT utility style, at 1/2 the co$t and outfitting it with things I could migrate over, when and if I got a teardrop. It also gave me the opportunity to find out if "trailering" was something I could tolerate, with out breaking the bank.

Hope this helps in your search for a trailer!
I guess "bomb proof" can be somewhat subjective, I just don't want it to get busted up on me haha. I agree with you on the 5.29s/35s combo, just seems to make the most sense for heavy trucks especially if towing. Had 4.88s on my last truck (also with 35s) and it was helpful but felt I could use a little more gear.

Right now I think I am leaning towards a pretty small/simple trailer with a larger RTT on the top, but some of those teardrops are definitely tempting. That CVT trailer looks like a great value!

[HIJACK] Those Lead Dog trailers are NOT "Tear-Drop" trailers. Tear-Drops are called that because of their distinctive shape, which the Lead Dog trailers do not have. They're just trying to capitalize on the current popularity of Tear-Drops to attract more buyers. Ought to be ashamed of "marketing" like that. These are what a manufactured, off-road capable, tear-drop trailer looks like: So-Cal Teardrops - Off-Road Trailers
Before you say that you lack the skills to build one yourself have a look at this resource: Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page [/HIJACK]

An RTT big enough to sleep 4 is a big'n. A friend has the largest Maggiolina and now that the kids aren't toddlers his won't sleep the 4 of them. At that age he doesn't want them in the same tent.....

I guess "bomb proof" can be somewhat subjective, I just don't want it to get busted up on me haha. I agree with you on the 5.29s/35s combo, just seems to make the most sense for heavy trucks especially if towing. Had 4.88s on my last truck (also with 35s) and it was helpful but felt I could use a little more gear.

Right now I think I am leaning towards a pretty small/simple trailer with a larger RTT on the top, but some of those teardrops are definitely tempting. That CVT trailer looks like a great value!
Thanks, it is a stout trailer for sure. I'm selling it, just haven't listed it yet. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country.

[HIJACK] Those Lead Dog trailers are NOT "Tear-Drop" trailers. Tear-Drops are called that because of their distinctive shape, which the Lead Dog trailers do not have. They're just trying to capitalize on the current popularity of Tear-Drops to attract more buyers. Ought to be ashamed of "marketing" like that. These are what a manufactured, off-road capable, tear-drop trailer looks like: So-Cal Teardrops - Off-Road Trailers
Before you say that you lack the skills to build one yourself have a look at this resource: Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page [/HIJACK].....
[More brief hijack]Currently, "Teardrop" is a relative term used to describe the overall function of a trailer. Nobody owns the adjective "teardrop", so what is your beef? [/more brief hijack]

Last edited:
From the wiki link, the very first sentence on the topic:

"A teardrop trailer, also known as a teardrop camper trailer, is a streamlined,[1] compact, lightweight[2] travel trailer, which gets its name from its teardrop profile. "

A square, boxy bodied trailer may meet the need, it may even better meet the need, but a "tear-drop" it is not. The history of tear-drop trailers goes back to at least the middle 1950's because my grandfather built one then. Misappropriating the term to describe a tiny trailer that is not tear-drop shaped is the marketers and the mis-informed trading on a legacy that isn't deserved and borders on offensive. That is my beef.

To the OP, @Bludozer I apologise for my and @ntsqd hijack, but considering your title, the discussion might be worth pursuing. To @ntsqd I apologise if I've offended you by my use of the term "teardrop" to trailers that have: "They usually only have sleeping space for two adults and often have a basic kitchen in the rear." which BTW, happens to be the 2nd sentence in the wiki link. No offence intended, but maybe you have a quick term that describes off road trailers that fit this discription, I don't. You know, it's all attitude. It wasn't meant to take anything away from the original teardrop trailers. If anything it was a compliment that the trailer was similar in use and funtion, with the added ability to use it in an off road environment and not limited to paved or gravel roads. I've edited the title of my trailer's thread to include the word "style", to be more accurate.

I believe that that community uses "tiny trailers" to describe small trailers of similar function, but not of the classic tear-drop shape, but I'm not part of that community so it's only a guess on my part.

I see a lot of AT type trailers made for sale, but I've no experience with any of them. I would look for at least a 3500 lbs axle if it's going to go off-road. You don't need the weight capacity, at least I hope you don't, but you do want those bigger wheel bearings. If leaf springs, are they the typical short trailer springs with no shock absorber, or are they longer springs from some vehicle with shock absorbers? If getting into camp with beer that isn't fizzed and eggs that are all still in the shell is a goal you want leaf springs that are softer than the typical short trailer spring. Bare in mind that trailers do not articulate. They have three points of contact with the Earth. Two of those are tires and the third is the hitch coupler. High school geometry anyone? Any 3 points define a plane. Because of that they have no need to articulate. Also keep in mind that people don't normally ride in/on a trailer, so the things that you'd do to make it ride nice aren't always applicable. For instance a trailer with springs that are too soft will be a swaying nightmare. Same with one that has a high CG if it's springs are about what they should be or less.

If they aren't leaf springs then what are their likely failure modes and how would you get the trailer home with one of them having happened? <- That sentence may sound like I'm against anything but a leaf spring and that isn't true. I know how I'd get a trailer with a broken leaf spring home and I have an idea of how I'd get a trailer with a broken Dexter Torsion axle home because I have trailers with those suspensions. I don't have a trailer with air springs, so I've never thought about how I'd get one of them home. Keep in mind that some of those contingency plans include dragging the broken trailer to the nearest U-Haul dealer and putting it on one of their car-hauler trailers to get it home a long distance.

I have a '77 FJ40 basically stock. I have settled on the Hiker Brand of trailer. Seems it will fit my needs and can be modified for changing needs as budget allows on down the road. Have a 4 y.o. adopted son and we plan to do a lot of camping in the Boston Mountains locally. The princess refuses to tent camp any more so the trailer will fit our needs. Have a 36' Mobile Suites fifth wheel and crew cab dually for long trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom