Lexus LX470 HID Lights- Recommendation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
I recently came across a LX470 with real HID lights and now I am totally sold. I have conducted a search without much success as pertaining to the LX470.

I am looking for the best (whitest and brightest) but economical HID lights set up. Also with little retrofit and/or less invasive approach.

It doesn’t matter if they are knock-offs from China or eBay as long as they accomplish the purpose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I recently installed a 4500K, 35W kit from XenonDepot in my LB and am very happy. Had to tweak the headlight assy bulb seats with a jewelers file to correctly seat the new xenon bulbs, but that didn't take long. I didn't use a relay harness for the ballasts, just hooked straight up to the OE wiring with no issues whatsoever. After realigning I'm really happy with the light output and color. Wish I'd done this ages ago instead of fooling around with premium halogen bulbs.

Last edited:
I recently installed a 3500K, 35W kit from XenonDepot in my LB and am very happy. Had to tweak the headlight assy bulb seats with a jewelers file to correctly seat the new xenon bulbs, but that didn't take long. I didn't use a relay harness for the ballasts, just hooked straight up to the OE wiring with no issues whatsoever. After realigning I'm really happy with the light output and color. Wish I'd done this ages ago instead of fooling around with premium halogen bulbs.

I researched on the XD product but unfortunately it ended up being quite expensive. About $260 as compared to the Retrofit Source ($150). Also, product quality as I gather is much better. So I ended up with the later. Thanks for you input anyways.

A lot of us on here have kits from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

I have the whole retrofit kit with projector and such in my cruiser. Their bulbs and ballasts are high quality, much better than something like DDM or XD

I just ordered the product a few minutes ago. I will not be retrofiting the projector. But I believe I will have to slightly modify (drill a hole) through the lens plastic/ rubber cover in order to feed the ballast wiring through, correct?

Also, where do you suggest I should mount the ballast? How about the + and ground terminals on the ballast, do you recommend direct connection to the battery or the chassis of the car?

Thanks.

Well, looks like you've made your decision. For anybody else who doesn't mind opening up their headlamps, I'd go the way 2000UZJ (from TRS) has written up in this thread.

As far as where to mount the ballast? Easy to access, away from heat and high up to prevent getting wet.

attachment.php

Well, looks like you've made your decision. For anybody else who doesn't mind opening up their headlamps, I'd go the way 2000UZJ (from TRS) has written up in this thread.

As far as where to mount the ballast? Easy to access, away from heat and high up to prevent getting wet.

attachment.php

Great. This seems to be a perfect location for them.

How did you mount the Ballast on the mating surface though.....applied double sided adhesive tape or some screws?

Thanks.

I drilled holes and used nuts/bolts.

I researched on the XD product but unfortunately it ended up being quite expensive. About $260 as compared to the Retrofit Source ($150). Also, product quality as I gather is much better. So I ended up with the later. Thanks for you input anyways.

I just ordered the product a few minutes ago. I will not be retrofiting the projector. But I believe I will have to slightly modify (drill a hole) through the lens plastic/ rubber cover in order to feed the ballast wiring through, correct?

Also, where do you suggest I should mount the ballast? How about the + and ground terminals on the ballast, do you recommend direct connection to the battery or the chassis of the car?

Thanks.

I just bought the XD kit from KBCarstuff.com. With the volt ballasts and no included relays, it's like $140 or so.

With the Extreme ballasts and relays, it was 199 minus 15% off.

Will try an install later : )

awesome place for mounting... that is really awesome. never thought of that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom