Less overall weight, or more weight to enable better weight distribution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another skid plate question, though this could be generalized to other mods and vehicle additions as well.

My LC200 will be 300 to 400 pounds heavier on the rear axle than the front axle after I install my rear bumper. Although I was planning on getting all aluminum skids, because I don't do heavy rock crawling and want to keep my weight down, I'm starting to wonder if it might be better to get heavy steel up front and aluminum closer to the rear. This, combined with a couple other adjustments TBD, could get me to only a couple hundred pounds heavier in the rear.

What do folks thinks is the more important consideration for the 200 series in general overlanding usage--keeping down unnecessary weight or avoiding a rear weight bias?

Last edited:
Personally, I would save on weight if possible and not worry so much about weight front to rear. As long as you have the proper rear spring/shock setup for the weight you are adding you will be fine.

I agree with @montegofd3s. Good strategy on base weight. Also, I suggest taking the time to get on a CAT scale after bumper install so you’ll be working with real numbers for your suspension setup.

If I had to pick, keeping a lighter rig overall will be more advantageous than weight distribution.

You're probably thinking back to the climbing thread where forward weight bias has climbing advantages? That's true for the extreme cases.

There will be many more dynamic situations (practically all), where lighter overall weight will have advantages which is why I pick that option.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like the jury is unanimous on this one.

@TeCKis300 I did see that thread. Also, in my usage to date--mainly on the East Coast and in some parts of the midwest--I've been going up and down a lot of steep and muddy hills. I've also been enjoying higher-speed off-roading. The latter usually involves exploring an area slowly at first, then cranking up the speed on subsequent passes. So, now that I'm adding more weight to the vehicle, I'm thinking about how to maintain my handling, which (subjectively) has been very good so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom