Leftover Trout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got atleast 3 cups of leftover trout that I did on the grill in foil. It took me almost 2 beers to pick out the little bones, so I don't want the meat to go to waste.
I was thinking about crouquets (spelling?), but something like maybe crab cakes--but maybe some kind of sauce to go over it.
The internet was full of chowder/tacos pescado/salads, but the trout meat is too fine and little/small for this kind of recipe.
My two young boys got fired up about our summer camping/fishing trips, and I went to Save Mart and bought two 18" farm raised trout. Told my wife that I was experimenting with a camping recipe. Got ta try this stuff out before you head up into the Mtns.
-Jim :beer::cheers:

Add a little cream cheese, maybe a splash of cream warm it up, whip it up with hand mixer and have a nice little smoked trout spread on crackers.

Add some capers and minced garlic olive oil and toss with some linguini.

I like your crab cake thoughts...that too would be nice.

leftover trout?
I've never heard of such a thing!
I'm interested in seeing where this goes!

Decided to make Croquettes, as I've never done them before, and it is French like my heritage.
Mixed 3/4 of a white oninon (food processor), season salt and pepper, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 beaten eggs, and a shot of paprika, and diced up grilled red bell peppers. Mixed 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of panko, and 1 1/2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs---oh yea, the juice of one lemon, 3 to 5 drops of liquid smoke, and a big splat of woirstttishire sauce, and some chopped up chives from the garden.
Had the wife fry up 3 patties in olive oil. They tasted really good, but are Croquettes suppost to be slightly creamy inside after frying?

What you made are fried trout patties or trout cakes. Croquettes are creamy inside, based on the milk/cheese base with a meat (trout, ham, or whatever) is an accent. If you want croquettes, try this recipe.

3 cups of whole milk
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of minced onion
2/3 cup AP flour
grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
1.5 cups of grated full flavored cheese (Manchego, Mahon, Gruyere, Cheddar)
1/2 cup minced ham
2 T chopped fresh parsley

Simmer milk over medium heat don't let boil over. Melt butter, saute onion, then add flour and seasonings. Then add the milk slowly, mixing, then add the cheese one handful at time, blending until melted and then add more. Throw in the ham and parsley. Pour hot mixture into a oiled 9x13 pan cover and cool in the fridge overnight.

The next day, heat 3" of oil to 360 degrees. Cut and roll small log shapes, then dredge them in flour, egg, panko and fry up in small batches. Serve warm with a dipping sauce of your choice or plain...either way they are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom