Leaky SOB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well,

Its all back together save for the interior. I've got a few leaks to deal with. :mad: Looks like my water pump packed it in or at least the gasket dried out while the 3B was sitting around. I'm going to have to source a new water pump and the plastic fan. The clutch mechanism seems fine but the ends of the fan are chewed up. If I'm going to be dropping cash on a new water pump I'n not going to risk the fan throwing it out of balance. I'm still getting air in the fuel lines as well. At least it looks like a 70 now.
IMG_8257.jpg

That looks really great Mr. Duo. :clap:

Excellent work! :cheers:

~John

Nice Job. Out of curiosity what does engine feel like with air getting in the lines, is it really rough running like it's misfirring? What inside dia. tubing is the line going from the fuel filter and injection pump. I wonder if you would be able to see air bubbles if you used clear fuel resistant tubing? I could get you some Tygon tubing, if we have the right dia. at work.

Last edited:
It fires up right away and stalls after about 10 seconds every darn time. I'm going to put new hose clamps on every union and re bleed the heck out of the system including each injector line and see what happens. If that doesn't work I may take you up on the clear line.

It fires up right away and stalls after about 10 seconds every darn time. I'm going to put new hose clamps on every union and re bleed the heck out of the system including each injector line and see what happens. If that doesn't work I may take you up on the clear line.

I just went through this on one of mine and what I'd do to begin locating is eliminate your fuel tank and fuel pickup as the culprit. I don't know if the 70 has the same issue as the 60 but the pickup from the tank is quite often the issue. So, disconnect your fuel line on the tank side of your water separator and feed from a gerry can instead.

I used the manual primer pump with a clear line of the bleeder screw on the fuel filter into a canister. Then it is just pump and bleed and watch for bubbles.

Good luck.

There is also a low oil pressure switch (at least on the BJ42 3B's) that will kill the EDIC if the oil pressure is too low. Another common problem with starts-run for 10 seconds - stop. There are two oil pressure senders to look for.

I just went through this on one of mine and what I'd do to begin locating is eliminate your fuel tank and fuel pickup as the culprit. I don't know if the 70 has the same issue as the 60 but the pickup from the tank is quite often the issue.

Dave, I still have your old tank if that is the problem. You are welcome to have it back.

There is also a low oil pressure switch (at least on the BJ42 3B's) that will kill the EDIC if the oil pressure is too low. Another common problem with starts-run for 10 seconds - stop. There are two oil pressure senders to look for.

Interesting. I wonder if I've missed a wire when I was hooking everything up. I think the tank and sender are OK but I check that after I look for a loose wire.

Thanks all,

Dave

Found one sensor on the lower right hand side f the block. I'm searching for the second. Found it. A bunch of clicking near the edic motor when I wiggle the wire. I switched the wires on the two sensors and it doesn't stall anymore but my oil pressure gauge has spiked and now no longer works ^%$^$. I may put in an actual proper gauge anyway as I get the feeling the factory ones are not much better than idiot lights. It's defiantly a bad connection on the oil pressure sensor or a bad sensor. I'll investigate further. I may have the wires mixed up as well. I have two blacks and a yellow with a black tracer I'll have to find a wiring diagram for a reference.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I've got it sorted but when I was switching wires around I spiked the pressure gauge off the charts. I hope its not hooped but at least the yellow and black wire is going to the sensor with the single connector that appears to be the low oil pressure shut off valve. It runs fine now except for the water pump I will replace this weekend. I'll see if I can get the gauge working again but id not I'll replace it with a mechanical one unless I can find a cheep 12 volt used gauge.

Leaky truck: I thought you were going to make reference to the wax oils dripping down and out things.

Did you coat the inside of the frame rails as well, or just get the body cavities, nooks and crannies.

Take your gauge assy out and pull the oil receiver component out to check it out. See if there is an obvious fix. If not, someone might have a cluster sitting on the shelf they might consider pilfering from.

gb

Thanks! I think I've got it sorted but when I was switching wires around I spiked the pressure gauge off the charts. I hope its not hooped but at least the yellow and black wire is going to the sensor with the single connector that appears to be the low oil pressure shut off valve.

I don't know 70's or JDM's, but I would guess you put the wire to ground, and the gauge spiked because of that. Gauge should be fine. But it could mean either that sender is pooched or it's the wrong application for the sender (i.e. pressure switch instead of gauge sender)? Good luck. And nice work on the swap.

Leaky truck: I thought you were going to make reference to the wax oils dripping down and out things.

Did you coat the inside of the frame rails as well, or just get the body cavities, nooks and crannies.

Take your gauge assy out and pull the oil receiver component out to check it out. See if there is an obvious fix. If not, someone might have a cluster sitting on the shelf they might consider pilfering from.

gb

Frame rails as well. I used a whole gallon of that stuff. Not a fun job and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. I had the wand fling out and got some serious freckles. I'll have a closer look at the gauge this weekend when I put on the new water pump. More set backs, I want to get driving this thing soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom