Leaky roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a problem I've never had before. Its been raining really bad here in the Mid-Atlantic the last week and today I went for a ride in the FJ and water was leaking out of the plastic trim for the top of the rear door, on the drivers side. A quick google had people saying their roof racks may be the culpret so I pulled out my rack bolts above the drivers side B pillar to RTV them. Fingers crossed it fixes the leak!

Was it the OEM rack or an aftermarket rack? The bolts do need a dab of silicone/sealant to prevent leakage.

I know this is after the fact but, be careful when removing the 2 bolts on each mounting point. They should be removed slowly and in equal amounts to each other. Both bolts should be removed in unison. If you remove one bolt before the other, it is possible that the clip that the bolts screw into can rotate and fall off in your headliner. Then you are removing the headliner, retrieving the clips and sliding them back into place. Major PITA.

Luckily, my bolts came out nicely! :)

Woah I am so glad I was super careful removing my bolts, that no clips fell. I have the stock rack but the stock sealant that was on there was all nasty and deteriorated. It rained INSANE tonight and I went and checked and the inside of my truck was nice and dry! So I would say this one is fixed. I should probably pull all the rack bolts and reseal them.

And to expand on @BrewsterII 's comment about headliner removal... To get to the headliner, you basically have to disassemble the rear cargo area from the floor up because of the way all the interior panels overlap (lower over upper sections). It is a major task you want to avoid.

The headliner removal is why my FJ still has those rattly muted speakers overhead. You used to be able to buy nice looking surface mount speakers - but so far, I haven't found any that would blend well. And the rear mounts are so proprietary that they are almost ignorable.

I put some little 3.5" or 4" R-Fosgates in the rear d-pillar location, just spliced into the factory wiring. Made a big difference. The ceiling speakers are laughable.

I tried to splice into my rear speaker wiring but no audio comes out, did I do something wrong, or is there like a different adaptor I need? I have an aftermarket head unit and no subwoofer
I put some little 3.5" or 4" R-Fosgates in the rear d-pillar location, just spliced into the factory wiring. Made a big difference. The ceiling speakers are laughable.

I did buy a JBL 6"x9" set for the doors and a set of 4" JBL's for the rear pillars along with the factory rear grills and cables that plug into the harness there. I did not buy the rear metal speaker mounts because they require a full aft cabin tear down to install. But I have yet to install everything. That said, I am assuming the wires are live.

Last edited:
yeah, I didn't have to do anything special to the wires in the rear pillar. I never had factory speakers back there and took the plastic blanks out of the pillar. Then I cut 3.5" holes in them and mounted the speakers in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom