LC 200 2018+ Power Tailgate Assist Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prharper

GOLD Star
Threads
I previously experienced an issue with the tailgate locking mechanism which failed to release on one side after installing a Trail Tailor tailgate locking lid.

Fast foward, it happened again. I was all set to head up to PA for a wheeling trip. The day before, I replaced front brake pads, booked hotel, purchased park pass and was all set. Just before heading out, I went to open the rear door to load the fridge. Pulled the lever to release the tailgate, heard a thunk and tailgate lock assembly was hung up on one side. The other side was free. Regardless, the tailgate would not open so no access to drawers or ability to slide the fridge out. I put all my weight into pulling it down. Hit it with a rubber mallet repeatedly. Nothing.

Tried to close it with no success, gaps on each side. Neither would latch. As a result, the rear door would not latch closed either. I learned later that attempting to drive would yield the constant annoying chime of open door with warning light.

I was determined to get this tailgate open or shut so I could get on with my trip. Jammed my arm behind the locking lid trying to feel for any release lever (which worked the first time this happened). This went on for 2 hours and I gave in after splitting my thumbnail and bruising my hand and forearm.

Booked a service appt at the largest Toyota dealer in my area for Monday AM. It was a huge disappointment and I'm not going to go into detail at this point.

The tailgate has two lock assemblies (left & right). Toyota added the power assist lock assembly in 2018. If one fails, there is absolutely no way to replace it without getting the tailgate to drop! There are three bolts securing each one that are only accessible from the side of the tailgate which can't be accessed if it's still latched and one bolt on the top of the tailgate (in my case had to remove Trail Tailor locking storage to access that bolt).

IMG_0654 (2).jpeg

Ordered a replacement lock assembly (different or each side). Examined the part in detail since it's rare to ever get an actual quality photo when ordering online Toyota parts. Example:

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.25.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.53.15 PM.png

Notice the updated part has a string attached to a lever. Hmmm. Why didn't my 2018 have this?

This gave me some clues. Inserted a borescope in the tailgate to help me locate the lever, pressed and the lock assembly released and tailgate opened. Detailed photo of my finger on the location of the lever.

IMG_0653.jpeg

While I had everything opened up, I removed the lock assembly on the other side and added a string (it didn't have one) in the event it ever fails.

This apparently is a design flaw that Toyota later recognized. Much easier to pull a string to release the locking mechanism.

FWIW - if you have drawers, it's going to be a big hassle to remove the factory storage area where the jack tools are installed as there isn't much room to work with when the tailgate is up. I was fortunate that I had the TT locking lid without a lot of gear in there where I could slide my hand and arm in there to release with my fingers. If this ever happens again, the damn string better work.

Last edited:
Sucks you missed a trip weekend for this crap!

Oh wow, what a design oversight. I'll add the string immediately, too. Do you just leave the string draped along the bottom cavity inside the tailgate, so that is accessible if the OEM storage box is removed?

Great find. I'm going to rig something like this up (hopefully it works on the non-powered tailgate too). I'm sure if this failure happens to me, it'll be somewhere in the middle of nowhere when I need to get at tools or gear in my storage drawers. Too bad mrT got rid of the lever that the earlier LC hatches had.

Sounds like this is exactly what is currently happening with mine. I'll attempt the manual release in the morning but it sounds like I'll need to order the new motor mechanism as well.

Any idea if the pre 2018 fully manual latch mechanism can be a drop-in replacement for the power assisted latch? Well, would have to purchase all the missing manual components, not just the latch, but maybe all the bolt holes line up.

Where is the string supposed to go when not using it? From the pictures it looks like it only works when pulling the string upwards, so does that mean the string is always hanging out of the latch hole? Not sure that would be any more accessible...

Any idea if the pre 2018 fully manual latch mechanism can be a drop-in replacement for the power assisted latch? Well, would have to purchase all the missing manual components, not just the latch, but maybe all the bolt holes line up.

Where is the string supposed to go when not using it? From the pictures it looks like it only works when pulling the string upwards, so does that mean the string is always hanging out of the latch hole? Not sure that would be any more accessible...
I'm pretty sure someone has added the power assist to a pre 2018. Maybe @indycole ?

I keep the string inside the storage door. As long as you can get to it, you pull it towards the center, left or right depending on which side.

Is this ONLY with the 2018+ with the power assist? and and not an issue with the older models?

There was another thread going around to get a longer cable for the 2018+ models using the gate, would this have corrected the issue?

Many thanks again to @prharper for this thread, you just saved my bacon.

Is this ONLY with the 2018+ with the power assist? and and not an issue with the older models?

There was another thread going around to get a longer cable for the 2018+ models using the gate, would this have corrected the issue?
Pretty sure this came out in LC 200 2018 and up. LX probably had it in prior years...

I’m three days into my 2020 LX 570 ownership and this issue just hit me. Same issue on the driver side. I’m having a hell of a time finding the manual latch release.

Dam this is frustrating as hell!

Got it. Works fine after manually unlocking it.

IMG_2786.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom