Labor Day Disappointment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided that I would check out NM-165, the road that goes from the Crest road to the north, around the Sandias and then connects with Placitas and eventually to I-25. I've never driven on it before and it's close to my house. Apparently, about a million other people decided it would be a good activity for Labor Day as well. It would have been a nice drive if it wasn't for all the people in economy cars, minivans, cute utes and mobs of people everywhere. The heat and dust didn't make it any better. I was a little surprised to see running water though. I don't think I realized there were any creeks like that in the Sandias. The road was a little rough in some places and I was surprised by how many low clearance vehicles were driving on it. Could be fun with some snow on it.

The plan was to find a quiet spot along the road to have a picnic. There was nothing quiet about it. We ended up parking in the shade of some solar panels at the Placitas Community Library to eat our lunch and then down to ABQ for a couple errands (where the thermometer on the cruiser gave readings up to 103 degrees).

At least the day ended with some bratwurst and a margarita at home. Anybody have a better day than that?

I cut some firewood.
I gathered some north of Tajique on Saturday, thanks to the saw you gave me. Learning the proper settings on the Low Idle and the high and low mixture screws has been a little bit of a challenge though. Hoping for one last trip this weekend before I think I have enough for the winter.

I gathered some north of Tajique on Saturday, thanks to the saw you gave me. Learning the proper settings on the Low Idle and the high and low mixture screws has been a little bit of a challenge though. Hoping for one last trip this weekend before I think I have enough for the winter.

Glad to know it is working out for you. Did it take much to get it useable? I lit the the first fire of the season this morning. It is usually the end of October before I need to get the stove going.

Glad to know it is working out for you. Did it take much to get it useable? I lit the the first fire of the season this morning. It is usually the end of October before I need to get the stove going.
The day you gave it to me I cut about a half cord of logs up in the driveway. Had some issues with idle speed and dying but it would start right up. When I went to take it on Saturday, I had to delay my departure by 3 hours until I could get it running. It seemed to not be getting fuel into the carb. It had sat for a couple weeks with no fuel in the tank so maybe the filter got dried out/clogged a bit. But then I got it working eventually. Didn't really do much with it other than a new spark plug and a new chain. The old chain wasn't bad but the new chain is great. Just need to keep fiddling with the mixture and low idle until i can find the sweet spot.

I worked Saturday and Sunday, spent Monday cleaning the garage. Lots of fun.

Ryan and I went to Palomas Peak to rock climb a couple weeks ago (it's off that road, about 2 miles from the pavement going to the ski area. Limited trailhead parking and hardly anyone there on the trail to the peak. We drove out the Placitas side and found the same thing--lots of passenger cars on the lower end, navigating the ruts and rocks. I can only imagine how bad it was on Labor Day!

Back road through Placitas to the Crest road is usually a zoo of cars and trucks on the weekends. Don't recommend driving up it in the snow. Unless you enjoy rescuing stuck cars. Too narrow in some places to pass other vehicles going the other way, when there is lots of snow. I decided to drive up that road from Placitas to do some cross country skiing. Got to Sandia man cave parking lot and it was a mess of cars and trucks all spinning their over inflated tires. I turned around and started back down, but met other stuck vehicles all over the road.:censor: Me and a Jeep guy spent 3 hours helping pull families, some in flip flops!!!, out of ditches,and getting them turned around. We were the only vehicles with recovery points, straps and any clue of how to drive in snow. Luckily, we got past other cars trying to go up and we headed home. I went skiing in the Jemez the next weekend. :D During the week, less traffic, better time to drive this scenic dirt road.

I ran into one of my then employees attempting to drive it in his Alfa-Romeo sports coupe. He started from the Crest road but then had to backtrack all the way because he couldn't navigate around a rut down by the cave.

Snow-wheeling the road is a hoot and a good way to get experience doing so. Close enough to Albuquerque to call in reinforcements if needed. I've got clear proof of just such an adventure involving a stuck Tacoma, a group of deaf Native Americans and their attempted rescue using a low-rider 4x4 Chevy Silverado.

For Labor Day, T and I explored Peru Creek and Pennsylvania Mine in Colorado. Also did Webster Pass (12k feet MSL) but the pictures don't do it justice. Oh, and Red Cone Trail, no. Just, no.
IMG_1333.JPG

Found a car to buy, finally, and got it the next day. Wish I had done my CV boots, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom