L.A. Cruiser meetup - March 3rd 10AM @ El Segundo Philz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So much for off road and chill next weekend. Reminds me of Dr John's "right place, wrong time." I'll have to post that jam in Chat when I get out of here.

Stock radiator? Did you upgrade the fan clutch? Were you running AC during the climb? The stock gauge stays right in the middle between 160-215 F, so right about 215 or so it will start to climb. Right before red, you are looking at 225 -230 plus. That's why I would never trust the stock gauge and invest in an aftermarket temp reader.
Best of luck

My wife just came and picked up the kid, now I've got a tow coming. We'll survive this.

Just past the Pyramid Lake exit the temp gauge shot up. I got over to the shoulder just as it approached the red, never into red but just below it. I idled for about 5 minutes, a small amount of coolant escaped the overflow tank (a cup or two is all), and the temp dropped right back down. I knew it was only another mile or two to the Smokey Bear Rd exit, and the freeway shoulder was too narrow for comfort, so I made a run for it. The truck was way down on power and has a horrible knock at 1800rpm and up. I got off at smokey bear and parked by the fruit vendor at the Hungry Valley south entrance just as the temp was climbing back up. I idled it till the temp dropped again and shut her down.

Engine idles fine, still have plenty coolant, oil doesn't seem over full or milky on the dip stick. That knock is going to haunt my dreams though. This is going to hurt.

So much for off road and chill next weekend. Reminds me of Dr John's "right place, wrong time." I'll have to post that jam in Chat when I get out of here.

Just try to work out what caused the over heating. Change fluids, flush coolant system. R&R as needed. Worst case you spun some bearings. You may get away with replacing just those. Stay positive!!

Stock radiator? Did you upgrade the fan clutch? Were you running AC during the climb? The stock gauge stays right in the middle between 160-215 F, so right about 215 or so it will start to climb. Right before red, you are looking at 225 -230 plus. That's why I would never trust the stock gauge and invest in an aftermarket temp reader.
Best of luck

Just try to work out what caused the over heating. Change fluids, flush coolant system. R&R as needed. Worst case you spun some bearings. You may get away with replacing just those. Stay positive!!

Thank you guys for the help and advice.

Marco, we talked at the meet about your temp gauge and how terrible the stock one is. I even bragged that "my truck shoots right over the grapevine and the temp gauge doesn't budge" and you politely rolled your eyes and set me straight. Prescient.

I'm a 1-2 banana mechanic at best, so bottom end work isn't in my near future. I've got to take a minute and figure out how I want to proceed. Don't get me wrong, I'm fixing it and keeping the truck. I just don't know how much I want to take on myself at home. I'd like to at least diagnose it better before I jump to a mechanic's mercy.

I'd take any recommendations for a reputable shop in this thread, but I'll start another thread in "80 Tech" for the shop talk.

Martin Davidson in Reseda is a absolutely excellent machine shop. Try have a lot of experience with Land Cruiser motors....if you're looking for that. Engine must be delivered to them may be the only downside for you.

My friend from Miyaki motorsports in El Monte did my other buddy's motor rebuild due to blown HG and motor been solid since and been to a few Moab trips and made that trek, and he is cheap and my go to shop.

Thanks for the referral, he's right down the street from me. I was thinking about trying to pull/reinstall myself. That would be the biggest thing I've ever taken on, but I think it's doable with some help and time to spare.

Thanks for the referral, he's right down the street from me. I was thinking about trying to pull/reinstall myself. That would be the biggest thing I've ever taken on, but I think it's doable with some help and time to spare.

Where abouts are you?

Winnetka. Less than 4 miles from that shop, right up Sherman Way.

I got some work done by K&H Imports in Canoga Park, shortly after I got the car. I don't want to say anything bad, but I'm open to alternatives.

Winnetka. Less than 4 miles from that shop, right up Sherman Way.

I got some work done by K&H Imports in Canoga Park, shortly after I got the car. I don't want to say anything bad, but I'm open to alternatives.

I'm down to help you on weekends. Just let me know.

I was having same over a year ago. Climbing El Cajon pass would make temp shoot up and I would have to turn on heater to keep it from shooting into the red. I replaced fan clutch with no improvement. Then someone suggested cleaning out radiator. I took to radiator shop in Rosemead. They took top off brass radiator, cleaned it out, and welded top back on. Such an improvement. Temp never goes past half now no matter how hard I force the engine. Just a suggestion.

I was having same over a year ago. Climbing El Cajon pass would make temp shoot up and I would have to turn on heater to keep it from shooting into the red. I replaced fan clutch with no improvement. Then someone suggested cleaning out radiator. I took to radiator shop in Rosemead. They took top off brass radiator, cleaned it out, and welded top back on. Such an improvement. Temp never goes past half now no matter how hard I force the engine. Just a suggestion.
Like i said, the stock temp gauge is a dummy gauge and it sits dead in the middle between 160-215 F. Without real time coolant temp display, would be impossible to monitor the coolant temp. with my old CSF brass/copper radiator, i would constantly see over 215 F climbing the grapevine, and needle approaching 3/4 mark. At 3/4 mark just below red, my real time temp gauge is seeing 225 F. My point is, get a scan gauge or other after market gauge if you have not already done so, because even at 210-215F, the engine is running extremely hot and the stock gauge still says it is within optimal operating temp. FYI, i have since upgraded to all alum. radiator, and my aftermarket gauge never sees over 195 climbing the grapevine, and stock gauge still sits in the middle...that is+/- 20 F delta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom