L.A. Cruiser meetup - March 3rd 10AM @ El Segundo Philz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few more - we had 15 cruisers at one point!

Id love to join next time you guys meet up! How often do you guys meet?

No set schedule but follow this thread / Socal 80s for info on the next one!

Hate I missed it. I have a bad wheel bearing so I'm down until I have time to tear into it. Yep, time to do the front end!

There's an event at Gorman on April 6th... nothing too crazy there, but could be an easy place to meet up and have some fun.

There's an event at Gorman on April 6th... nothing too crazy there, but could be an easy place to meet up and have some fun.

Share more info on that when you have it !

Share more info on that when you have it !

I think the RSVP is full, but I'm still going for the day. Everyone is welcome to join in on that.

SmartSelect_20190325-173840_Facebook.jpg

I was looking at Off Road and Chill shortly after our last meet and it was already booked up. Is it uncouth to crash a sold out event in numbers?

As of a week ago there were no blooms on the pass yet, and very little in the Upper Cuyama/Lockwood Valleys, but a lot can change in a week. A lot of the trails in those areas are also gated off for the season (Miller, Tecuya, etc). I was thinking of hitting up Carrizo Plain, that's a spot I've gone in the past. This year's Carrizo bloom can be seen here. Maybe we could all hit up Ballinger Canyon or Rock Front OHV. But at that point, why not Hungry Valley again? Better flowers, but worse trails farther away... IDK, just spit-balling.

Reactions: TP3
I was looking at Off Road and Chill shortly after our last meet and it was already booked up. Is it uncouth to crash a sold out event in numbers?

As of a week ago there were no blooms on the pass yet, and very little in the Upper Cuyama/Lockwood Valleys, but a lot can change in a week. A lot of the trails in those areas are also gated off for the season (Miller, Tecuya, etc). I was thinking of hitting up Carrizo Plain, that's a spot I've gone in the past. This year's Carrizo bloom can be seen here. Maybe we could all hit up Ballinger Canyon or Rock Front OHV. But at that point, why not Hungry Valley again? Better flowers, but worse trails farther away... IDK, just spit-balling.

So I talked to the organizer and the event is only sold out for their picnic, ability to participate in their raffle and camp... otherwise Gorman is open to the public and we can certainly have fun on the trails. So I just figured there be some other cool off roaders there, so I planned to check it out.

Just come out to Offroad and Chill regardless....the event is closed, but it is a public OHV, so you are welcome to join the group for runs and what not. I will be there in the am with everybody else.
-ML

Dang it all to heck! I just broke down on the 5 outside of Hungry Valley, on our way to Carrizo. I overheated on the grapevine and now I've got a nasty knock above 2k rpm. I'm waiting for my wife to come pick up our daughter, but then I need to find the cheapest way to tow this rig 50 miles back home. Anyone have any bright ideas aside from calling a tow company and paying all the moneys?

Dang it all to heck! I just broke down on the 5 outside of Hungry Valley, on our way to Carrizo. I overheated on the grapevine and now I've got a nasty knock above 2k rpm. I'm waiting for my wife to come pick up our daughter, but then I need to find the cheapest way to tow this rig 50 miles back home. Anyone have any bright ideas aside from calling a tow company and paying all the moneys?
AAA... sorry to hear. How did you overheat? How far did the stock gauge went up? Did you keep the motor running in idle to keep it from heat soak if your not running out of coolant??

My wife just came and picked up the kid, now I've got a tow coming. We'll survive this.

Just past the Pyramid Lake exit the temp gauge shot up. I got over to the shoulder just as it approached the red, never into red but just below it. I idled for about 5 minutes, a small amount of coolant escaped the overflow tank (a cup or two is all), and the temp dropped right back down. I knew it was only another mile or two to the Smokey Bear Rd exit, and the freeway shoulder was too narrow for comfort, so I made a run for it. The truck was way down on power and has a horrible knock at 1800rpm and up. I got off at smokey bear and parked by the fruit vendor at the Hungry Valley south entrance just as the temp was climbing back up. I idled it till the temp dropped again and shut her down.

Engine idles fine, still have plenty coolant, oil doesn't seem over full or milky on the dip stick. That knock is going to haunt my dreams though. This is going to hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom