Knuckle Gussets - Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished welding up a sleeve extension, cut and turn and perches on a FJ60 axle last night - moving onto installing Marlin knuckle gussets.

The way they're shaped - the edge of the top gusset/shock mount goes right up to the bearing race - am thinking I need to grind some away to prevent interference with the seals? Am installing the new poly seals from Bobby - and most definitely don't want something chewing into them?

Anyone installed these before?

Yep. What I did was welded them where they fit the best, then ground them back a little away from the knuckle wipers. I needed to test fit a couple of times because the wipers would hit the gussets at full lock. I'm guessing the new UHMW wipers are a little thicker than the OEM felt style I used- so you might have to do some heavy clearancing.

ditto

installled them a couple of months back. just grind till you have clearance. on the lower you can leave more metal as the knuckles bow out for lack of a better term.

Thanks. Only took one confirmation for me to be sure that common sense needed to be applied - just didn't want to do what I thought had to be done only to find out there was some crazy madness to why they where like that. Also saw a set on a friends mini this weekend - so cleared it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom