Knott Creek? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me. I'll be up at KCR on the 28th of June, back out the 1st of July for a High Sierra Fly Casters/Ruby Mountain Fly Fishers outing. I can bring a guest or two, hence the BBCNV invite.

Me. I'll be up at KCR on the 28th of June, back out the 1st of July for a High Sierra Fly Casters/Ruby Mountain Fly Fishers outing. I can bring a guest or two, hence the BBCNV invite.

Thanks Kurt! The trip on the 28th, how many people can go with you?

Thanks Kurt! The trip on the 28th, how many people can go with you?
Since I already said "a guest or two", not sure if you asking something else... like how many can ride with me. The answer there is zero, as I've offerred my passenger seat to a HSFC club member who doesn't own a 4x4.

Suggest we chat more during the BBCNV run tomorrow.

Last edited:
Since I already said "a guest or two", not sure if you asking something else... like how many can ride with me. The answer there is zero, as I've offerred my passenger seat to a HSFC club member who doesn't own a 4x4.

Suggest we chat more during the BBCNV run tomorrow.

I wasn't sure if the "guest or two" was for the event in July or your trip on the 28th. :meh: I was asking about the 28th to see if that was going to be a larger group, that's all. :)

event in July or your trip on the 28th.
Ah, so Knott Creek Reservoir trip (28 June to 1 July) is an HSFC/RMFF event, to which I can bring a guest or two from BBCNV. I'm guessing we might have as many as 2 dozen folks there in total... hopefully at least a dozen.

In July, tentatively 8-12, I'll be heading out to Elko County on a personal "wild trout hunt"... in this expedition, I hope to catch, photo, and release a Bull Trout, a Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout, and a Inland Redband Trout in NV waters, including the headwaters of Bruneau and Jarbridge rivers, and Goose Creek and its tributaries in the NE corner of the county. Even though I put a huge amount of research into these expeditions, they tend to be quite crazy as one cannot plan how easy each catch will be, what OHV obstacles you might face, or other issues. Should be another fun fly fishing/OHV adventure... but something that only someone who is a nut for both fly fishing and OHV could enjoy. (Yes, I'm a nut twice over.)

Onion reservoir is worth the side trip. I seem to recall another lake near there but higher up that had Golden Trout?

Onion reservoir is worth the side trip. I seem to recall another lake near there but higher up that had Golden Trout?
Blue Lakes are above Onion Valley Reservoir. Blue Lakes have brookies.. It is possible that years ago they tried Goldens up there. However, I don't believe any there presently. Next time I talk to the biologists, I'll ask them about Goldens in northern NV... maybe there is some hidden lake somewhere in NNV that still has them.

But, yes, these lakes can be a nice side trip. For this particular trip, we only have two full days in the area, so we'll probably stick to KCR.

I like Knott, I think Onion is better for camping though. Have they replanted Onion, or did some fish survive when it was super low? Did it ever dry up completely? Recently I have only fished KCR once about 6 years ago on our Cross NV all dirt trip. I did ok, but didn't have a float tube or fly rod, just my collapsible spinning rod. Blue is super cool too, worth the very short hike if you have time.

I like Knott, I think Onion is better for camping though. Have they replanted Onion, or did some fish survive when it was super low? Did it ever dry up completely? Recently I have only fished KCR once about 6 years ago on our Cross NV all dirt trip. I did ok, but didn't have a float tube or fly rod, just my collapsible spinning rod. Blue is super cool too, worth the very short hike if you have time.
NDOW stocked OVR with 2303 Rainbows a few weeks back and did stock Blue Lakes last fall. KCR probably got fish this week... just in time for the opener (which I generally recommend avoiding).
I like to camp relatively close to water at KCR so boats left on shore are nearby. We always bring plenty of cover, as unless you camp in the Aspen grove, there's no shade. This trip, I'll be bringing my huge 8-man tent + garage + a canopy. We'll be glamping! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom