King parrot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This king parrot has become a regular visitor to me chatting to me and bobbing his head up and down, really want's a chat. Perching on the wheel barrow or shovel.. blows me out what nature can give out. who's a pretty boy then?
1669987206254.png

This king parrot has become a regular visitor to me chatting to me and bobbing his head up and down, really want's a chat. Perching on the wheel barrow or shovel.. blows me out what nature can give out. who's a pretty boy then?View attachment 3183550
Looks like a juvenile male, last spring's hatchy. Not quite into full adult plumage

Females have an all green head. Males have full orange/red head

Not familiar with the bassian thrush. I see a grey thrush regularly out in the bush.

My mum was the ultimate bird nerd.
I have her old field guide. It's falling apart at the spine, but has notes all through it, dates and location of when she saw different species from all around the country

also get the grey shrike thrush with their piercing singl whistle too, but lyrebird is king down there.

red and yellow robbins and the baby fairy wrens are too quick and gorgeous. yellow tail cockatoos are like dinosaurs the way they fly so heavy and slow, always talking.
also had an adolescent echidna wondering around, not fully spiked, such a gentle creature.

red belly and tigers shall come with the heat..

I'll get a snap of the burrowing yabby's mud volcanoe they build, apparently they only exist in the strzleckis, along with the giant worm. Keep a burrowing yabby as a low maintenance pet in the kitchen, my kids are not too interested in barry tho, 1 inch long he is, not fluffy, I think he is quite cute but I am bias. Kookaburras and yellow robins love them.
1670124476624.png

1670123913508.png

Black cockies, yellow Robin, fairy wrens, Lyre birds are all among my favourites.
Butcher birds are another one I get excited when I hear them, and currawongs.

Do you know choughs? They are entertaining guys I enjoy seeing too

Black cockies, yellow Robin, fairy wrens, Lyre birds are all among my favourites.
Butcher birds are another one I get excited when I hear them, and currawongs.

Do you know choughs? They are entertaining guys I enjoy seeing too
yes a few butcher birds, they like the yabbies too. Plenty currjongs, in fact a place nearby is called currajung.. not far from tarra bulga np.

Sometimes I wonder if I have the powerful owl, have the tawny and the boobook, but they are common.

I have not seen a chough down there though, maybe too heavily forested. Not many roos in my spot, but lots of black wallabies and wombats.

I have only seen wild emus in the snowies, old man and chicks (stay away a healthy distance!), wilson's prom and in the apy lands, S.A.

I get sad that the wombats are killed by the log trucks, then the wedge tail comes to eat the carrion on the road. The log trucks don't slow down on the blind corners. Always a little exciting unfortunately. It is evil business this ambitious greed stuff.

Best thing though, lots of koalas which aren't inbred, and when the loggers knock off there is not a neighbour for 16km, total silence.

Where are you?

Sydney unfortunately. But grew up on the Central Coast, semi-rural and by the beach. Surrounded by bush, and lots of State Forest and national Park in the area. Grew up roaming the beaches and the bush
Holidays have always bush holidays, camping, bush walking, kayaking etc.
Have carried on camping and walking and touring as much as possible with my boy.

My mum passed on a love of birds, trees, native flowers, and making the most of being in nature.

actually have seen wild emu back of gulgong too.

One of my favourite spots is south coast nsw, lots of friends in Tanja and cobargo. Mystery bay and aragannu are magic spots, sea eagle, goannas on the beach, whales and dolphins..not as many tourists as north coast. Excellent fishing, lots of oyster farms.

In Candelo, between the coast and the snowies, nearly everyone is a musician, one of the best knife makers anywhere lives out of a caravan as a wild man around there too.

Ahh, the adventures had and to have..!

I am stuck in melbourne half my life with the family, but lucky I can get away most weeks.

I am building a kiln, which shall require some of my friends to come and help. It is a bit like sailing with fire for a week. I shall pm you if you are interested. Maybe this winter I shall be ready, it gets muddy when wet.
I think you would like it, can walk for hours on end without seeing a soul, if you want! Not many tourists due to the pov stricken coal communities. Lots of leeches but no ticks, little to no phone reception.

This is just the chimney..
1670135725843.png

I am stuck in melbourne half my life with the family, but lucky I can get away most weeks.

I am building a kiln, which shall require some of my friends to come and help. It is a bit like sailing with fire for a week. I shall pm you if you are interested. Maybe this winter I shall be ready, it gets muddy when wet.
I think you would like it, can walk for hours on end without seeing a soul, if you want! Not many tourists due to the pov stricken coal communities. Lots of leeches but no ticks, little to no phone reception.

This is just the chimney..
View attachment 3184889

What's the kiln for? Pottery?

Looks old school/primitive?

I think I got fuel at Candelo as their tanks were about down to the last dregs during 2020 bushfires.
Managed to get out of Tathra and back to Sydney via Nimitabel - Cooma - Queenbeyan his before all roads or of Tathra/Bega/Eden where closed.

Spent a couple of weeks camping in Bendethra Valley during Covid lockdown. Saw 3 people in about a 10 day period.
There's relics of an old bread baking kiln built into the side of a hill there

Yes old school, the pottery technique dates back 5000bc. The brick laying technique of this one is nubian. Primitive. I know kilns quite well. When living in Japan as a younger fella, I hitch hiked to the 6 ancient kiln sites over 1000 years old.
The work which comes out of it is most easily described as medieval Japanese. Which, for most part is Korean derived. The Japanese are good at making things their own and preserving it. It is quite different to the indigenous of Japan, the Ainu.

The Ainu and Palestinian ceramics dates to 10000 bc.

The history of ceramics is not huge in Oz, Papua guinea had more so. China/korea was 1000 years ahead in ceramic technology until the 1800's in Europe due to the clays they had, going to much higher temps. The europeans literally stumbled upon bone china whilst seeking 'the philospher's stone', turn base metal to gold...which is quite an historical story.

One of my mates saved his house by chucking a water tank on the back of a hilux with a fire fight pump. He lost his sheds tho. Another mate, 4 houses surrounding burnt down, his was unscathed in tathra.
My mates in tanja reckon 'the big frog' is looking after them.
Those hills burnt hot.

I think king parrot has a girlfriend, he kept a distance with her, under the thumb! typical, wouldn't be the first time. The wallabies are using my site as a retirement village.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom