King of the Hammers + Wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcolon

SILVER Star
Threads
I am headed out to King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley for the main event on Feb 10. I was looking to hook up with some fellow mudders for some wheeling afterwards. I would really like to drive the Mojave road or a piece of it, but am not opposed to doing something else like Anza Borrego or other things in the area. I have a full day Saturday and half day Sunday. My normal wheeling buddy cannot make it this trip so let me know if there is interest and we can set something up.

Luis

You realize each of those spots are about 2 hours away from JV? If you want to get out of the JV area, I suggest Joshua Tree National Park and the Old Dale District, If you wanna get away from Hammertown I suggest you search out Emmerson and Galaway lakes beds, the Boxcar site and the Granite Mine, that will keep you busy for a week in the OHV area.

I will be out at the Hammers on Thursday and Friday, but with a Side by Side and camping in a not so hectic spot.

I know that they are not close to JV. My experience last year at KOH was that there was an unbelievable amount of dust in the air even at the end of the day. I only want to be there for the race but do not want to camp in the middle of the hammertown dust bowl.

I will look at my JV map again... we drove around some of the other areas - but I prefer expedition style wheeling to pure rock crawling which is what JV seems to be about. I haven't been out to Joshua Tree in a few years. IIRC Great Hiking but there is 1 4wd road that we took that goes south and out of the park. Might be a good compromise since it is so close...
115_1448.jpg
115_1449.jpg
115_1472.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, we camp on the other side of Backdoor, on Melleville Dry lake bed, minimal dust, no 2am fireworks, less tweekers and such. Find all the quick routes into the upper trails and hang out, If you know your way around JV you can do lots of expo wheeling.

Thank you. I will check that out when I am down there... That last pic is of back door... Probably one of my favorite spots to watch the race.

Looks like everything fit without the bootyfab deck extension. Have fun !

Wow now that is a setup - and all the way from Wisconsin. And I thought my 8hr journey from the bay area was bad... I guess I will recognize your trailer from the IH8MUD sign on it :beer:

Do you wheel those UTVs?

45 minutes from gates of work to the lakebed craters.:cool:

Nice! I have a friend who lives in Victorville and he can just hop on his dirt bike and be out in the desert in a minute right out of his garage.

Check the KOH schedule - Thursday is the supporting UTV race.

KOH UTV Race | Ultra4Racing.com

I would love to see those guys @ backdoor trying to get up that ledge or going up Jackhammer/Sledgehammer. The KOH buggies' ability to crawl up those obstacles should make the weekend jeepers cry.

I will probably have to catch both the UTV and King of the Motos on YouTube or some other forum. I am planning to drive down on thurs afternoon so unfortunately am going to miss those...

Getting ready to go.... Driving to Barstow today and will come to the lakebed early on Fri morning. Ready to get HAMMERED!

exhausting week...shot somewheres in the range of 3000 photos...and my 2nd photographer likely took an equal number...

Vegas w/Mace tonite, headed east in the morning...

woody said:
exhausting week...shot somewheres in the range of 3000 photos...and my 2nd photographer likely took an equal number...

Vegas w/Mace tonite, headed east in the morning...

Stop by in ABQ and a have a few.

;)

Safe travels dude.

Leaving tonite, should be on the lakebed Friday...

I saw you pull in, I recall that set up. It was a hell of a fun trip for me, I had never been down there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom