Killing FPRs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So. Would there be a reason my 62 would be eating Fuel Pressure Regulators? My original one wasn't holing pressure, so I replaced it with a Standard Motor Products one from rockauto. That one didn't hold pressure (tested by my shop), so I found a used one on eBay and it's been working fine for about 5 months. A few days ago I started getting a weird jump in RPMs when cranking it. They would level out to normal after about 15-30 seconds. Then Friday it took about 5 tries of cranking to get it to start when cold. Same symptom from when my original FPR was going out. So I put on a brand new Airtex I had bought as a spare. Cranked up on the first try and figured all was well. Next morning, getting the same issue--takes 5 or 6 cranks to start--first one or two get nothing. Next few get it barely starting for a second or 2 then dying. Once it cranks it's fine. Cranking the rest of the day is ok unless it sits all day, which seems to be fuel pressure falling as it sits.

So-are the aftermarket FPRs that bad, or is something else the culprit?

I'm a 60 guy, but my TBI 350 in my GMC had the same issue hard starting in the morning and requiring multiple cranks. Ended up being the fuel pump check valve bled pressure back into the tank when it was shut off.

Not sure if 62s have this.. may be worth looking at? Forgive my ignorance if not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom