Kaymar Rear Bumper on a LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a couple more pics of the problem area. First pic is from another thread. Seems like the best solution would be to modify the bumper support bracket so that it goes around the pump somehow, or maybe even to incorporate the pump bracket.

IMG_3431a.jpg

ahc.jpg

the stock AHC pump bracket isn't strong enough to incorporate. The only thing I can think of is to use flat steel plate to run under the bracket and then figure out a way to incorporate the mounting holes on the wing. Then, you have to figure out how to mount the plate the the frame... bolting will be hard, so you might weld it. But then you'll have issues if you ever have to work on that pump. And will a flat plate (1/4"?) be strong without having any cross bracing? You could build up 2 sides flanking the ahc bracket for strength...

Sorry to keep being a downer about this.

Last edited:
I had to build a mount to work around the pump. It's no work of art, I used 3/8" steel...and 1 1/2 by 3/16 angle. And a 1/2" u bolt. And I would t stick a high lift on that side. Not that I have a high lift. It'll be fine for deflection, and probably for a full side drag, but it still isn't pretty.

the stock AHC pump bracket isn't strong enough to incorporate. The only thing I can think of is to use flat steel plate to run under the bracket and then figure out a way to incorporate the mounting holes on the wing. Then, you have to figure out how to mount the plate the the frame... bolting will be hard, so you might weld it. But then you'll have issues if you ever have to work on that pump. And will a flat plate (1/4"?) be strong without having any cross bracing? You could build up 2 sides flanking the ahc bracket for strength...

Sorry to keep being a downer about this.

Downer?

A part of figuring out how to get there is to first understand the challenges you have to face along the way.

Things like this only helps us move closer to figuring it out, so if you associate moving forward with going up, then this is actually... the opposite of a downer.

I rest my case, your honor!

Last edited:
I had to build a mount to work around the pump. It's no work of art, I used 3/8" steel...and 1 1/2 by 3/16 angle. And a 1/2" u bolt. And I would t stick a high lift on that side. Not that I have a high lift. It'll be fine for deflection, and probably for a full side drag, but it still isn't pretty.
Can you post a pic? I'm having trouble visualizing what you did.

Don't know how 'universal' it is, but I believe Ben and team have an option for the AHC relo....

What I mean is - would sell separately without purchase of bumper 🤙

What I mean is - would sell separately without purchase of bumper 🤙
I think the problem here is that the bumpers are all vastly different in what they need to support the wing . . . so even if we had a generic part, it'd then need even further modification to fit with each bumper (or it might not work at all).

Can you post a pic? I'm having trouble visualizing what you did.
That's a 3/8" by 4" steel plate, with a 1/2" u hanger on the frame, and then a 2 pieces of 1 1/2" 1/4" angle piece on the other side that attaches to the bumper wing. So eight bolt holes, three pieces of iron. I didn't have a welder at the time . . . This is the v1 version. I did a v2 later that has the 1 1/2" angle for the wing - I needed to space it down an inch.

V2 pic added

IMG_2312.JPG

3D5C033E-86E6-4206-B3BA-9F9D0AB7B3A3.jpeg

Last edited:
V2 pic added

genius! Does the plate rock back and forth on that weld on the bottom side of the frame, or you shimmed it somehow?

genius! Does the plate rock back and forth on that weld on the bottom side of the frame, or you shimmed it somehow?
I've got it shimmed with a 8 mm bolt tapped into the plate. At some point when I'm ticking off to-do items I'll weld a little wedge in there. Probably when I pull the whole bumper to recoat for rust mitigation.

Edit: it's not just that the frame isn't flat, the whole frame is angled here (coming down behind the wheel), so that shim keeps the plate flat. OTherwise the u bolt was pulling it up, which was pulling the bumper wing up, which was affecting the bumper cover gap and cosmetics.

Last edited:
I've got it shimmed with a 8 mm bolt tapped into the plate. At some point when I'm ticking off to-do items I'll weld a little wedge in there. Probably when I pull the whole bumper to recoat for rust mitigation.

Edit: it's not just that the frame isn't flat, the whole frame is angled here (coming down behind the wheel), so that shim keeps the plate flat. OTherwise the u bolt was pulling it up, which was pulling the bumper wing up, which was affecting the bumper cover gap and cosmetics.

Would it be better to drill holes in the frame and use riv-nuts rather than use u-bolts to attach the bracket? Or maybe even weld a custom bracket to the frame?

Would it be better to drill holes in the frame and use riv-nuts rather than use u-bolts to attach the bracket? Or maybe even weld a custom bracket to the frame?
I have never represented this as the only or the best way to solve this problem. I'm a backyard hacker willing to try stuff. Sitting around waiting to spend $2k+ on a bumper with a specific LX bracket wasn't in my math, so I just plowed ahead (also at the time there was not an LX specific part, but I digress). I don't have a machine fab shop with a bunch of metal working tools and the experience to wield them effectively, particuarly on a vehicle frame.

I don't agree on rivnuts, the 1/2" u bolt is far stronger than rivnuts into the frame will be, the frame is not thick. I absolutely agree that a welded custom bracket would be way better. I wouldn't weld it to the frame, but a bracket correctly gusseted would be a far better solution. I did buy a hobby welder, but am a rank amatuer at using it. Maybe I'll get around to unbolting all this and welding it instead, the shim could definitely benefit from a welded shim instead of that little bolt.

I have never represented this as the only or the best way to solve this problem. I'm a backyard hacker willing to try stuff. Sitting around waiting to spend $2k+ on a bumper with a specific LX bracket wasn't in my math, so I just plowed ahead (also at the time there was not an LX specific part, but I digress). I don't have a machine fab shop with a bunch of metal working tools and the experience to wield them effectively, particuarly on a vehicle frame.

I don't agree on rivnuts, the 1/2" u bolt is far stronger than rivnuts into the frame will be, the frame is not thick. I absolutely agree that a welded custom bracket would be way better. I wouldn't weld it to the frame, but a bracket correctly gusseted would be a far better solution. I did buy a hobby welder, but am a rank amatuer at using it. Maybe I'll get around to unbolting all this and welding it instead, the shim could definitely benefit from a welded shim instead of that little bolt.
Thanks Grinchy. Don't get me wrong though I think your solution is fine I'm just in the same boat as you with respect to fab skills and I'm thinking of tackling this myself with the Kaymar. Since there are other armor solutions out there that use rive-nuts, I was wondering if that could be a possible solution. But I have to agree that it probably wouldn't be as strong as what you have.

The best solution is likely working in or under the AHC pump area. I think any fab could come up,with something that would work for any bumper, just plan on two to four hours of shop time for the welding bit.

That's a 3/8" by 4" steel plate, with a 1/2" u hanger on the frame, and then a 2 pieces of 1 1/2" 1/4" angle piece on the other side that attaches to the bumper wing. So eight bolt holes, three pieces of iron. I didn't have a welder at the time . . . This is the v1 version. I did a v2 later that has the 1 1/2" angle for the wing - I needed to space it down an inch.

V2 pic added

View attachment 2407698

View attachment 2407713

I’m assuming you mounted at least one of the rear Kaymar swing-outs (tire carrier and/or fuel can holder). If you installed a swing-out, did you run into any issues?

I’m assuming you mounted at least one of the rear Kaymar swing-outs (tire carrier and/or fuel can holder). If you installed a swing-out, did you run into any issues?
I’m sorry. The discussion was around how a kaymar could be adapted to a LX570. I did not adapt a kaymar, but another rear, the RLC. I have a single 3/4 swing with a center mounted spare on the RLC and it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom