Just joining in on the GX470 life! Some suspension questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone..
Super excited to be a part of such a supportive and helpful community; I've already noticed how tight knit and an almost cult-like following these trucks have (with reason) and I'm very excited to join in.

I got a killer deal on my 04 and its in fantastic shape save needing some major suspension help. However, due to its age and pretty high mileage (193k) it is in need of a suspension overhaul. Timing belt was done at 165k in 2016! Interior is nearly flawless, and from what I can tell, I swear this truck has less rust than my 5 year old f150 work truck, haha! Right when I picked it up last week, I went straight to the shop to basically start over. Brake line fluid flush and replacement, power steering fluid flush and replacement, transmission fluid flush and replacement, driveshaft lube, all filters replaced, etc. Anyway, the suspension needing to be overhauled isn't the end of the world as I planned on upgrading it all anyway but any input on my following plans is greatly appreciated!

It needs a lift, UCA's with ball joints and LCA's. Both CV axle boots are either completely torn, or tearing and have to be replaced... A mechanic in town warranties his for 2 years which seems pretty good all things considered, so I may go with this option unless I learn of something else that may be better here?? From what I've read it seems that OEM is the best choice in terms of longevity and strength. I take it this is one of those "you get what you pay for" scenarios lol

At the same time that CV axles are to be replaced I want to install a lift and I have been eyeing either OME 2.5" lift with OME UCA's, or the Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pros with UCA's. Not sure which I'll go and would love to hear from anyone with these lifts and open to recommendations!

Then from there I'm just lost on LCA's and also... do I need a diff drop if I'm at 2.5" ??? Thanks for everything!

Congrats, and welcome to the GX cult.
My opinions only, as others have far more experience than I...
-well done on “base lining” all the maintenance items. Great peace of mind, and important to the long-term health of the truck.
-diff drop...not needed
-suspension reviews...ask 10 owners, get 12 opinions...I have the FCPs from IronMan and really like them. Great ride, very controlled and firm but not harsh at all. Quality seems very good. Catch them on sale, and buy once cry once.
Their forged aluminum UCAs are excellent, and with the 3” lift, make it easy to stay aligned with good caster.
-OEM bits and pieces when at all possible for CV’s, boots, tie rod ends etc.

have fun. Almost time to start stressing out about tire choice!

Thanks man. I appreciate the advice greatly, and especially your review of the Ironman suspension. I was on their website last night and almost pulled the trigger. Does anyone have the nitro gas? I hear it doesn’t last as long does it also not ride as well?

So, I had the Nitro Gas version previously. the opportunity to “upgrade” to the foam cell pro’s came up, so I did.
There is a difference in ride quality, and IMO it favors the FCPs. The Nitros were very good, and were super smooth on good pavement, but seemed to transmit just a bit of harshness on bad pavement, square-edged bumps, etc. Still they were more controlled and firm than stock.
The FCPs are just smooth. They absorb hits better, and give a very controlled ride. Hit an edge, or a whoop, and they absorb it nicely.
And they look fantastic!

thank you so much! but bummer...the kit I was looking at is now out of stock. Do you simply get their promo emails?
Yes, I get their promo emails. They are a pretty small company, I’d call them and maybe you can get that discount when things are back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom