Just get her drivable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did post about it (and a few pics) a few pages back.

My main issues were the adapter for the stock air filter assembly, throttle cable/pedal attachement, and then timing issues.
I figured out both, with invaluable help from this forum.

didn't take many pics, but will list here what I did and what threads helped me. Thankfully, a few 60 series owners had done this install recently and had taken the time to post their experience and pics. It all helped a ton.

Nolens install on his 60:
Blue '84 gets a fresh start- AFI EFI and more

another blue 60 with a recent rebuild/AFI install
Builds - Project Bluebird and the tale of an engine rebuild

install on 1977 FJ40:
Affordable Fuel Injection

FJ40 thottle cable modification ideas:
TBI install on my 40

read all the "2F fuel injection" threads I could find

and a variety of PMs with @wngrog and @FJ60Cam

I had to modify my throttle pedal (pics a few pages back)
Used the same Lokar throttle cable that @wngrog did....3ft

I got the AFI kit with the separate distributor/ignitor setup. They offer a HEI type distributor as well.
I bought the standard length wiring harness, should have gotten the next size up. It installed ok, but limits where the computer can go.
Used the same TBI/air filter adapter that @maxbob002 did, and added an extra 1" spacer
I'm using the supplied fuel pump, but am planning on getting a backup (Airtex E8094), as some have had problems with the pump that comes with the kit.
The only wires that needed lengthend where the O2 sensor wires. Easy enough.
I also installed a $40 Flowmaster cat converter.
Bosch O2 sensor that is recommended as a backup/replacement: Bosch 13077

For the throttle cable install, I removed all of the mechanical linkage and removed the support off the firewall. This left 2 holes in the firewall about where the throttle cable would need to come out. So I drilled out one of the holes (the upper one) to the sized needed for the cable...this was easy as the hole was already there to guide the larger bit. Then ran the cable and tightened the adjustment nuts.

I got a gasket for the fuel pump block off (Felpro 70627) and some shorter bolts, but still can't stop the oil leak. This should not be an issue, as vendors sell a 'fuel pump block off kit' for the 2F....I made my own to mimic the kits for sale, and it leaks. We'll figure it out.

Will be driving it quite a bit this weekend, and will report any findings.

IMG_20180808_183749551_LL.jpg

IMG_20180808_183714413.jpg

Last edited:
So I've been battling weird fuel injection issues for over a month now...my tribulations are sprinkled throughout this thread...

Affordable Fuel Injection

So I've got a HEI distributor now and Live Wires on the way. Hope that solves the issues. Looking forward to driving it.

Then rear bodywork and custom bumper.

The Live Wires got here yesterday, installed last night, and drove it. Super pumped. Not sure what the issue was with the original setup I had, I'll be talking with AFI this week to toss ideas around.

Took it for a good drive this morning...few small issues to work on, but overall she's good. Hit 70mph casually. Also had to use some Remflex gasket on my fuel pump block off plate, the regular gasket I used (what is included in the plates you buy) didn't seal at all.

Few pics

IMG_20180929_102827660.jpg

IMG_20180929_102844285_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180929_102912738_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180929_102856392_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180929_102929079_HDR.jpg

Took it for it's first road trip this past weekend to Uwharrie Natl Forest....about 100 miles away. Didn't know what to expect, so had my AAA membership card ready
Everything worked out, except for the nagging driveline vibes around 40-50 mph that was not there before the lift.

Chicks dig it though.

IMG_20181103_133015585.jpg

IMG_20181103_133310020.jpg

IMG_20181103_151952725.jpg

IMG_20181103_133255257.jpg

IMG_20181103_152027021.jpg

Went to the local Lexus dealership yesterday to pick up the wifes ride....I did not fit in.

Also, my horn mysteriously stopped working. I can hot wire it and it beeps....but the 3 horn buttons do nothing. Took it apart and all looks good at the steering wheel. Odd.

IMG_20181208_134735001.jpg

Went to the local Lexus dealership yesterday to pick up the wifes ride....I did not fit in.

Also, my horn mysteriously stopped working. I can hot wire it and it beeps....but the 3 horn buttons do nothing. Took it apart and all looks good at the steering wheel. Odd.

View attachment 1850328

Is the contact between the steering wheel and the ring good?
That is where the horn on my 40 failed.
You have to remove the steering wheel to see this - so make sure you know how to orient your wheel when you put it back on. (this is code to say that I did not, so my wheel is crooked when I am going down the road. But my horn works!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom