Just back from Big Bend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've said it before...set a date and put it out. If you plan it, they will come.
Early December or January might be better, less conflict with all the ChrismaKwanHannaMadan festivities....oh yeah and festivus!

I visit the Big Bend region two or three times a year. Where did you take the canyon and water crossing pics? I've never seen those spots./quote]

The water crossing is in El Solatario along Hen Egg Rd. I have crossed it many times and this is the first time it has had water in it. They have just had a wet winter so far.

The canyon is just south of "Bee Cave Canyon". My uncle owns part of the property of Bee Cave Canyon and we were driving along the bottom below looking for a way to get up to it.

It would awesome to get a large group of Land Cruiser people together for a trip to the Big Bend area. I've got some great places around Terlingua and in the Chinati Mountains to visit too.

I agree. I don't mind using my family's place as a base of operations. It has 2 bed rooms which will fill up fast, but more importantly propane lights, oven, stove, heater, and it has running water with two full bathrooms for the ladies.

There are places to primitive camp all around the house if we want to do that. We could hit Big Bend National park a bit, the Terlingua ghost town, Solatario, and ride around Terlingua Ranch.

HELL, I'M IN FOR IT.

Only problem with waiting til its warm is the snakes. I like to go when it is cool out cause they are a hibernatin. People would just have to watch where they step.

This is good stuff. I need to get back to the desert in "the bend". I may go in early March. Anyone interested in early March?

March is not good for me :mad:. Stupid job stuff.....

I think I'm going back in April....I plan on going the 12th-16th. If I don't leave earlier. I'm already counting down the days.......

I'll have to check those dates with the Fiesta schedule for San Antonio. It's a week of beer drinking fun and I can't miss it.

I need to get out to Big Bend soon. I'll definitly head out in mid to late summer when the daily storms start up. It makes the Big Bend back roads more challenging.

I think I'm going back in April....I plan on going the 12th-16th. If I don't leave earlier. I'm already counting down the days.......

I was just looking at the calendar and I think I could get away Wednesday night through Sunday of that week for a trip to Big Bend. Are you for sure going that weekend? Do you want to get a trip together and make it official?

I was just looking at the calendar and I think I could get away Wednesday night through Sunday of that week for a trip to Big Bend. Are you for sure going that weekend? Do you want to get a trip together and make it official?

Brett,

Still looks good for me so far, an official trip is fine by me.... any other takers?

Chris S. Smith

I'm pretty open in April and will work my spring Padre Island National Seashore trips around Big Bend. You guys find a date that works and I'll be there. I ran it by my wife this weekend and she said "yes", so I'm a go even if we need to change the weekend a bit.

Are we going to Big Bend National Park or to your place in Terligua Ranch? I've spent a day driving the backcountry of between Terlingua Ranch and Big Bend Ranch State Park and it was incredible. Either is fine with me. I love to explore. Heck, I may find that perfect five acre lot and buy it on the spot.

Is there any way I can help with planning from down here in San Antonio? Do you need anything to help make this happen?

Would you like me to contact some of the other Land Cruiser owners in the San Antonio area about going?

I've got a buddy that brought his old wire haird dog for years and years. She did great in the desert backcountry but he did have to keep an eye on her. One night in '94 we had a mountain lion come through our campsite at Pine Canyon 3 and I think it could smell the dog. Things got interesting but we didn't have a close encountrer.
The national park does allow dogs BUT you can't take them on any back country or Chisos hikes. You also might want to check on that policy to make sure they still allow dogs in the back country campsites. The "it's my park" type rangers can be bitchy about it if they catch your dog on a trail.

I love dogs so it wouldn't bother me.

I would like to know about brining my dog- any issues/safeguards/precations I should be aware of?

I would have no choice but to bring her, but the cactus/sharp rocks/scorpion/snake deal needs to be thought out... worth worrying about or no?

I'm pretty flexible on scheduling as well. I picked the other weekend just because it was the very first one I had available and I was eager.

National Park or my family's place is fine by me, I just dont know much about the National Park. If we get a bunch together and decide to stay on Terlingua Ranch, I can post a link to the Terlingua Ranch Lodge which has cabins for rent as well as RV hookups. It is not far from my place and could be a good starting point.

My parents always took their Pekingese out there. They just had to keep and eye on him.

I'll be happy just to be there again so I'm good either way.

I know the national park fairly well. Assuming there's no rain, Old Ore Road, Glenn Springs Rd, Black Gap and River Road East are going to be the most scenic and slightly challenging. Black Gap is never maintained. However, by most of OUR standards, they're not going to be like driving trails at Barnwell Mountain. If it were to rain (almost daily in late summer) those roads become very challenging with good water crossings.

I've only explored a few roads in the Terlingua and Solitario area so I'd love to check those out. The photos you posted looked pretty good and since I'm an expedition guy vs. a rock crawler I'd love to explore some of those areas.

It would be a day trip west but we could always catch Pinto Canyon Road southwest of Marfa and drive via Pinto Canyon to the Chinati Mountain Hot Springs. After enjoying the springs, we'd return to Terlingua/Big Bend via River Road along the Rio Grande. If we started the journey in mid morning we should be back before dark depending on our pace.

Where ever we go I'll probably tent camp if that's OK? It will make the trip a bit less expensive.

This will be awesome! I'm looking forward to a line of Land Cruisers heading down the road.

I'm pretty flexible on scheduling as well. I picked the other weekend just because it was the very first one I had available and I was eager.

National Park or my family's place is fine by me, I just dont know much about the National Park. If we get a bunch together and decide to stay on Terlingua Ranch, I can post a link to the Terlingua Ranch Lodge which has cabins for rent as well as RV hookups. It is not far from my place and could be a good starting point.

My parents always took their Pekingese out there. They just had to keep and eye on him.

That sounds cool!

I too, would like to tent camp... I am looking forward to exploring the area and setting up camp in a different spot each night!

I will put in for vacation time today and try to get it approved.

I *should* be able to get Thursday-Sunday (the 19-22)... would that be all right? Would it still be departing Wednesday night (the 18th)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom