June trail ride Medano Pass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
This is a placeholder for the June trail ride to Medano Pass; the date is scheduled for Saturday, June 18 (overnight to Sunday for those who desire to camp). @old40dog posted an update last week indicating that the road is not fully open yet (as of June 1st or 2nd), so watch here for updates!

For what it's worth, on my last trip ten days ago over Raton Pass into Colorado the southern Sangres above timberline had maybe 10% snow cover.

Like I said, for what it's worth.

Reactions: SAS
Screen Shot 06-15-22 at 08.47 AM.JPG

So...is this still on? Is it worth the effort for just part of the trail?
What is the drive time to this area btw?

I think we should postpone doing Medano Pass due to the technical "closure". Possibly to next weekend, or even a later date?

For those itching to get some trail time:
there are other clubs going on different rides that any of us CLC people would be welcome to join; specifically, the Colorado 4Wheelers is doing China Wall on Saturday
[I was out there with them today 6/15/22 to open the gate!]

Colorado Jeep Girls are doing a trail cleanup in Idaho Springs. [Probably what I will do this weekend]

Jeff F. mentioned to me that he might be going to the Gulches to break his friend's brand new Jeep. Er...I mean "break - in" :grinpimp:

A day later the NPS posted (on June 16) that Medano Pass is OPEN.

@thinair80 wants to go, but others who were following the thread have jumped to other activities (having assumed Medano would remain closed). So, anyone that REALLY wants to go this weekend, get in touch with thinair80.

@LandLocked93 and @old40dog are you guys good to make Medano next weekend 25-26?

@thinair80 wants to go, but others who were following the thread have jumped to other activities (having assumed Medano would remain closed). So, anyone that REALLY wants to go this weekend, get in touch with thinair80.

@LandLocked93 and @old40dog are you guys good to make Medano next weekend 25-26?
I'm in for 6/25-26.

OK, let's schedule it for next weekend, June 25-26.

From Co Springs, we'll meet on Saturday morning at the south location (Safeway store on S. Nevada) between 8am and 830am. Depart at 830am.

Yes, good for 25-26.👍

OK, let's schedule it for next weekend, June 25-26.

From Co Springs, we'll meet on Saturday morning at the south location (Safeway store on S. Nevada) between 8am and 830am. Depart at 830am.
Reading up on the park, looks like there's an entrance fee? Anyone know how much that is, so I'll have the cash?
Are we camping in a designated camp area? I ask as they are the only areas allowing campfires.
Is there a fee for camping too? Couldn't find a definitive answer on the site.
Big thanks.

We enter the park from the east side; fees are charged at the southern entrance where they have "amenities" like a visitor center, etc. The last few times I've been we enter from the east side and depart on the east side (backtrack our route).

You can buy a 7-consecutive day permit online for $25; covers one vehicle and all passengers. Or buy the Annual Permit for $45.

The campsites within the Park Service area are "first come, first served" and there is no additional fee for camping. The times that I've camped have always been on the east side, in National Forest area (no fee, dispersed camping).

I have a propane "fire pit" and these are allowed in Stage I and Stage II fire bans within NF boundaries (the current fire ban status is Stage I ).

I'll meet you guys at the Shell Station on the South side of Westcliffe. I'm guessing you to be there around 10 AM. No fees for camping in the Preserve portion of the Park. Fees charged in the Park itself for the developed campsites. No entrance fee charged even if you depart through the main entrance. See you there!

Packing and winging it!
See @SAS at Safeway, 8am-ish!

20220626_110412.jpg

Not Pictured: Dave the mountaineer, Jeremy the chef, Melissa the photographer.

Last edited:
IMG20220626085804.jpg

IMG_9400.JPG

IMG_9405.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom