joshua tree national park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my family and I are heading down to palm spring for thanksgiving week. My wife and I were debating about heading into the park for a day or two... I have personally never been there and have always wanted to go.. I was wondering if any of you all that live down there want to join us. That is it you have time. I see that they do have some 4x4 trails. Are they hard? What are they like? Thanks ahead of time!!!!!

The 4WD trails in Joshua Tree are not hard at all; on the mild side. Since you're starting from Palm Springs, enter Joshua Tree via the 4WD Berdoo Canyon Road. Some small rocks here and there. Once you hit the Geology Tour Loop it's all graded dirt road from there. Then you hit pavement.

If you want more offroading you can head to the east to Old Dale Road. Couple of old mining operations along the trail with huge processing equipment. The mines I visited had mine shafts that were fenced over, but you can climb the ladders to the top of the mining equipment. They were not the kind of mines on the side of a mountain.

We won't be there this year but have camped there thanksgiving in the past. Some good day hikes to do and if you like climbing around on the rocks it's awesome.

We won't be there this year but have camped there thanksgiving in the past. Some good day hikes to do and if you like climbing around on the rocks it's awesome.

My wife loves to hike.. Me not soo much!!! :) thanks!!

On a side note: I also want to visit and explore Death Valley with people who know the area. Never been there either.

stay away from sheeps pass unless you don't mind running into the occasional necked hippy rock climber. TGWE is the best time to be there...one of these years.,....

stay away from sheeps pass unless you don't mind running into the occasional necked hippy rock climber. TGWE is the best time to be there...one of these years.,....

Copy that!!! My older brother would fit in quit well there. Lol...

Actually really looking forward to exploring that area.. Like I said in the OP if any of you all want to join us... Feel free to.. The invitation is open.

man I love that place...been threatening to take the fam for TGWE for almost 5 years now. really need to make it happen...it really is a special place- but don't lean too far over the cliffs into the wind. ;)

I was there several years ago around Christmas time. The attached picture was on Gold Crown Road, I think, coming into the park from the north. Here is a link to some pictures my friend took while we were there. It's a great place. Have fun!

Joshua Tree NP

JTV2_18d_mark small.jpg

On a side note: I also want to visit and explore Death Valley with people who know the area. Never been there either.
I usually visit DV 2 or 3 times a year. Usually after Xmas, but this year my plans are up in the air. Next spring for sure though. Shall I keep you posted?

I usually visit DV 2 or 3 times a year. Usually after Xmas, but this year my plans are up in the air. Next spring for sure though. Shall I keep you posted?

Go now and you can see the lakes that have reappeared due to flooding.

The "Touristy" Stuff:
Scotty Castle in partially buried by mud. Won't reopen for 6 months for repairs.
Bad Water is cut off. So people cannot exit from the South or enter from Shoshone.

^^^nice job on the clip.

All that rain made the colors in the valley really vivid, especially when viewed from Telescope Peak ;)

Thanksgiving is a great time to visit the desert. The popular spots can be crowded.

Was thinking of hitting Berdoo trail. Just to clarify, can you camp anywhere off the trail? Fires ok?

I went backing packing on the north end one year during thanksgiving and froze our assess off at night! We were in our tent by 7 pm just to stay warm!

oh it snows in Jtree on TGWE- interrupted my last 5.10d

be careful what you wish for...

yep, it will be downright cold, don't be caught off guard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom