JDM Diesel vs. 80/100 Series For Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

This is my first post. I am entering the market, looking for a LC for longer trips; my dream is to drive to South America. It seems that the only diesels available are older JDMs, though most seem to have low mileage. My questions:

1) Is a JDM even a good choice for overlanding?

2) Assuming I can find or import a LHD, are they as reliable and as easy to fix as 80/100 series?

3) Are they difficult to find parts/mods for in the US?

Any other advice?

Some countries do not allow rhd cars to pass trough,when you go to SA you will need to skip Panama as they do not allow rhd's.

Why bother with importing a lhd cruiser if you want to make this trip,start in Guatemala or Nicaragua where there are plenty lhd diesel cruisers available and take it after the trip home with you.

None of the rhd specific parts as tie rods,steering box will be available on this trip while the same parts for lhd cruisers can be found on any street corner in Central America

This is great advice. Solves my RHD problem. I did kinda wanna do AK, where I am from, to Argentina, but I think buying in Central America sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Joe.

Things might changed since but as of 2016 I lived in Argentina and met many people in RHD vehicles traveling the Pan American. Pretty sure it all depends on who you meet you at the border. That being said even if it is a buried law and rarely enforced why take the risk when you have a choice to pick up something LHD.

keep in mind a 4WD vehicle is not necessary for Central and South America. I used a 2WD F 150 once and traveled several months. The second time I went I drove a 4WD Suburban. You'll meet Europeans in Vans and people in mini trucks with home made campers. It's like the US, You can visit plenty of awesome places with just a car or if you have a capable vehicle then you find other places to explore.....same as here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom