Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my point was to clarify the numbers, but let's be reasonable here. No need to throw these things away. Each one can presumably handle 6 tons or 12000 lbs which is 2 cruisers. They are still likely 4x as strong as the stands that the vast majority of people out there are using...
And since I only lift half of the cruiser (3000 lbs) at a time and use both stands, I have a safety factor of 8 to feel good about! And I also like the wide base, much more stable than the little guys.

And as I said, I suspect this labeling is close to standard practice in the industry, and not limited to HF.

Where's the standard used to certify those stands as being capable of supporting ANY weight?
I don't know specifically whether or not OSHA has determined a testing protocol for stands, but I'd be surprised if they had not. Such a standard would never be issued for a pair of anything unless they were a single item refered to generally as a pair, such as a pair of eyeglasses, or a pair of handcuffs.

You will trust your safety in an item composed of steel plate welded together. Do you know the quality of those welds? If so, please say how? Because you can't see anything wrong with them through the thick orange powdercoat?

You speak of a standard of the industry. What industry is that? The industry of marketeer's hype?
Stands used in industry are tested and certified for their capacity, and they are required to be regularly inspected by qualified personnel to assure their continuing integrity. Anyone who's ever undergone a formal OSHA inspection knows that.

(OSHA = Occupational Safety & Health Administration)

honk said:
Where's the standard used to certify those stands as being capable of supporting ANY weight?
I don't know specifically whether or not OSHA has determined a testing protocol for stands, but I'd be surprised if they had not. Such a standard would never be issued for a pair of anything unless they were a single item refered to generally as a pair, such as a pair of eyeglasses, or a pair of handcuffs.

You will trust your safety in an item composed of steel plate welded together. Do you know the quality of those welds? If so, please say how? Because you can't see anything wrong with them through the thick orange powdercoat?

You speak of a standard of the industry. What industry is that? The industry of marketeer's hype?
Stands used in industry are tested and certified for their capacity, and they are required to be regularly inspected by qualified personnel to assure their continuing integrity. Anyone who's ever undergone a formal OSHA inspection knows that.

(OSHA = Occupational Safety & Health Administration)

this is all generally true if somewhat of an extreme position and rather rethoretical. I'm sure you are using in your daily life numerous items of all sorts that are not being regularly tested and inspected by OSHA inspectors . One can only use common sense -and yes, trust your luck somehow-. We all do that every day driving around. Yes, we don't know how good the welds are. And that's exactly why I chose a stand that if good is 8x stronger than I really need. That's my safety factor and I'm comfortable with it. And I'll usually put in some wood or a spare tire underneath anyway as additional safey when I'm under there. How often did you hear of this type of stands having failed under stress? Does it make the papers a lot?

If you want to use only stands that have been individually tested and you have an inspector come every 6 months to inspect and retest them, be my guest. I'll take the more practical approach.

Also, for my edification, please let me know of general purpose stands that have been tested and are stamped as such. I'd like to see how much they cost.

Finally, let's not forget that I'm the one who was cautioning folks not to be misled by the "official" rating, and advocating caution in this respect (with my point being called a "silly" idea... :) )

AC Hydraulics jack stands are the best in the world! And, they actually are built to a variety of strict international safety standards.

http://www.asedeals.com/jack_stands.html

http://www.ultimategarage.com/acstands.html
ACJackstands.JPG

Last edited:
I picked up a set of Good Year 6 ton jack stands (6 tons each jack) for around $25 at Sam's Club. 15.5"-24" height. States on the box that each stand has a capacity of 12 tons each, I'm assuming that that is the failure rate of each stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom