Its not a Cruiser, but its a 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
miscdotgeek.com
No its not a LC, its not even Toyota but its a 3rd world vehicle for sure, even if it is IFS. 2.6L, 5 speed, 4.62 gears stock. Its a Mitsubishi Pajero 2 door, known in the States as a 1987 Dodge Raider. Its got 334K miles on it and still runs great on what I'm guessing is the second or third motor. It has minor issues but it starts right up every time. It idles rough (it surges a bit) but as long as it passes smog, I don't care! LOL. I got it for $500 on craigslist. It has 15x6 wheels with 225/75/15 tires on it. I'm eying some 30x9.50x15's on craigslist right now, as these tires are worn out.

At least I'm back in the 4x4 game, boy did I miss it!

I thought I put a picture with it, guess not. Here it is in its bone stock form as it sits. It will likely stay that way but with slightly larger tires. The rest will be add-ons like a roof rack with lights and some storage in the back. The stock bumpers are pretty beefy. The only thing its missing is storage for a a gal fuel can. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it. I'm open to suggestions on that.

If I keep the truck in the long run, I will do a SAS in the front with something that is 6 lug and the right width. I'd love to use a toy front axle but its drivers side drop so we'll see. I've only had it a little over a week so I have plenty of time for research and planning, and I'm not even sure I will need/want it. Its for exploring more than anything, not really hard core off roading.
IMG_6887.jpg

It should do fine. You might consider sliders, rocker panels seem to find rocks even on mild trails.

Thanks, I'll need it! Was just looking under the hood to see why it idles crappy, found a vacuum manifold coming off the intake with one nipple wide open, nothing on it. Looking in the FSM now to track it down. Its a great little project, I'm having fun just using my imagination so far. Need to get the $$ together to really outfit it the way I want, but for now its good enough :)

Just keep in mind, those were used all over the world in stock form on pretty much any and all third world to first world roads. I say focus on making sure it's reliable, no more than a 31" tire and have fun. You might have to do some tinkering to add fuel volume. Does the 4 door have a bigger fuel tank, does it fit? Those kinds of things. Larger fuel tanks trump gas cans any day.

Jack

Jack, those were my thoughts too. The only reason I'd SAS it is to replace the ifs if/when it wears out. Its about reliability for me. I'll look into the bigger gas tank, good idea! I can say that this thing will go everywhere I can think of wanting to go just as it sits. I just want some aggressive tires on it, nothing too big, and it'll be fine. I like the idea of sliders too.

Keep in mind that in most cases more aggressive tread = worse fuel economy. Not burning as much gas equates to carrying more gas.

Another good point. I looked into extended range fuel tanks, and I'm not finding any for the raider. The Montero has the same size tank in it, and the only extended range tanks (50gal) available are for the LWB Montero not the SWB Raider and those are from Australian companies. Nothing domestic. So I'd have to have something fabbed, or do some creative fuel tank installation. I wouldn't mind doing that though. A little fuel tank from a car stuffed into the right spot might work pretty good and just use a fuel pump to transfer gas into the main tank when it gets low. I'm also not averted to carrying 2 5 gal cans.

As for tires, the rig will see a lot of off road and I want to optimize it for that. I'm not talking about swampers, but I do want some decent mud tires for the best traction. At first I'm just going to get pretty much whatever used tire I can get on there simply because I want to prove that the rig will do what I want before I invest lots of money.

Next week I'm going to be heading up to Peavine to do some exploring locally and get to know the truck. There are a lot of old mines and neat areas to check out.

Hmmm not bad. $410 shipped for 235's, a hair more for 30x9.50's. Any favorites for local shops to have them mounted? I will probably buy used tires first to keep the costs down and then get some of these when I've saved more money. I have 2-300 to spend on tires, not the 500 I'd need with those unfortunately.

Thanks, I will call them. You guys are a great help, and I appreciate it. You wouldn't kick a Mitsubishi out of a run would ya? Maybe I could join you guys for your next event.

I got tires and wheels today from a local wheeler. 30x9.50x15's on 15x8 wagon wheels. Couldn't pass them up, they were a great deal. Lots of tread and the wheels aren't bent! :D
IMG_6895.jpg
IMG_6897.jpg

I haven't been kicked out of any runs yet and I drive a Dodge, so I doubt they will kick you out.

At least yours has Foreign blood. Mine only got a bad case of the metric bolts. The penicillin must have worked....

I got the Dodge Raider emblems off, they wer just on with double sided tape LOL. I'm thinking I'll graft in a grill from a 70 series LC and stick some Toyota emblems on it here and there, maybe nobody will notice. :p

You can tell everyone it's a Polish FJ60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom