Isuzu Trooper diesel...yay or nay?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't we have a guy with an GM 6.2 V8 TD FJ80? Maybe you should contact him and ask how his rig is doing after the swap?

He likes it... getting over 20 mpg on veggie oil. He had some problems with the trans, putting it in wrong..... He should have used an nv4500 instead of the 700r4

You have to do a lot of neutering an 80 in order to do it though.

You will not: like the power it produces, and: the unreliability it has.

Something about the bearing casts into the block have a way of cracking, pulleys, junk, etc, etc.

About the only way you can (or should) make this work for you is: If you have the parts or can get them free. Can do all the fab work yourself. And usually the biggest is, you make your own veggie fuel.

And with that being said, I can't wait till the next thread, where I read someone has NO IDEA how labor intensive it is to make that stuff...

IMO, the 6.turd is best left in the donor it came with. If it's in a K5, then just build the damn K5!!

This post will not please Hilux

Chevy 6.2 Diesel?

Just start punching yourself in the face for the next 2 months. When you stop it'll be like Chevy Diesel ownership except way, way cheaper.

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
You have to do a lot of neutering an 80 in order to do it though.

You will not: like the power it produces, and: the unreliability it has.

Something about the bearing casts into the block have a way of cracking, pulleys, junk, etc, etc.

About the only way you can (or should) make this work for you is: If you have the parts or can get them free. Can do all the fab work yourself. And usually the biggest is, you make your own veggie fuel.

And with that being said, I can't wait till the next thread, where I read someone has NO IDEA how labor intensive it is to make that stuff...

IMO, the 6.turd is best left in the donor it came with. If it's in a K5, then just build the damn K5!!

:flipoff2:

Four months later... you are slipping:flipoff2:

91 Bighorn (Trooper) 2.8 Diesel

I have a 91 and I love it, the 2.8 has guts and is as reliable as the sun coming up. Gets great fuel mileage. Mines an automatic which is rare here but have had no trouble with it. Friends tell me the 3.0 had some problems but I have no first hand experience with that. A side note, a few weeks ago I had it down in one of the provenances here and came across a Coke truck stuck to the frame in one of the remote villages. About 8 guys and a caribou trying to get it out. Hooked it to the Isuzu stuck it in low range and pulled it out no strain...love the truck.

I have a 91 and I love it, the 2.8 has guts and is as reliable as the sun coming up. Gets great fuel mileage. Mines an automatic which is rare here but have had no trouble with it. Friends tell me the 3.0 had some problems but I have no first hand experience with that. A side note, a few weeks ago I had it down in one of the provenances here and came across a Coke truck stuck to the frame in one of the remote villages. About 8 guys and a caribou trying to get it out. Hooked it to the Isuzu stuck it in low range and pulled it out no strain...love the truck.

Yeah, I've got two troopers (both with the 4 cyl) but my aunt has one with the 2.8L V6 and it has 250K on the clock. As for pulling stuff, I hooked mine up to a fullsize, crewcab duelly with a 30 foot gooseneck, flatbed trailer (empty) on the back and pulled the whole rig out of a muddy ditch. The duelly driver's mouth dropped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom