Is this normal.....cant help thinking its not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon All

prompted by a rattle/resonance/knocking (diesel trype) I ventured underneath earlier and too the following pix and more importantly video (youtube link s could not upload here) - its 1982 BJ40 4 speed - slight lift but leafs have been shimmed.

This video taken with all wheels on the ground and gearbox in neutral.

Noise is barely noticeable with windows up but at a certain point in 2nd/3rd/4th with window down it is very noticeable, not just under load - exhaust is new and well mounted.

Thanks soooo much in advance!!

Dan

IMG_8349.jpg

IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8350.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8351.jpg

is there anybody theeeeeeeere?

Dan, you have posted into a vendors thread, which is why you probably haven't gotten any replies. The proper place for your question (and where you will more than likely get help) would be under forum>40 series. Good luck to you.

My FJ45 has at least that much rotational play. Yours doesn't look unusual for a 40 year old drive train.

I would think it would be a little tighter from the factory but there has to be a bit of backlash in the gears or they would be too tight to turn without wearing out prematurely and over heating.

Times two on do a copy and paste to the 40's forum. Maybe PM the moderator of this forum @cruiseroutfit, he may be able to redirect it for you.

Thanks Guys not sure how I managed this but since redid in correct place....doh!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom