Is my power steering dying? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes on my 2005 LC when I'm cranking the steering at low or no speed such as backing out of my garage or manuvering into a tight parking space my steering feels like it catches for a second. Feels like something binds up. Regular steering at speed is smooth. Would this be my power steering rack or pump? Or is it just worn out tie rod ends?

Also, I recently hear a screaching sound when I start the engine. It seems to be coming from the drivers side engine bay, just on the other side of the firewall. I'm used to hearing the vapor emissions valve cycle when going up thru the mountains, but this is happening here at home in Dallas.

I'm wondering if the notchy steering feel and the screaching sound are related.

Anyone have a similar experience?

were you able to find out what was wrong. seems like i have come across the same thing. heavy tight feeling when steering at low speed. i also noticed some front leaking over the wheels and the shops didnt make it an issue.

FWIW, when I took mine in after I first got it for an oil change, the guy there said it took a lot of PS fluid to top off. But he said not to worry. Some Toyota's seem to have a PS hose that as it gets older can have a slow leak- his dad's pickup had similar symptoms. PS fluid is something a lot owners can overlook- and not every oil change joint will top off, despite what they say.

I'll probably replace the hose- someday...

You either have a power steering leak or an old rack. Either are straightfw fixes. I experienced the same and replaced a hose and the rack and now it handles quite well, no screeching, effort..etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom