Is it possible to install timing belt backwards ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
My son and I were trying to save my ex wife some $$ by installing a new timing belt on her 99 3.4 V6 Forerunner.
I installed a new belt fot her about 10 years ago and it was simple project and ran fine .
This tine , I supplied the driveway and the tools and my son did the work.
It seemed to run fine except for some fuel injector issues ,…
At this point it was turned ovef to a professional mechanic, who got it all straightened out.
Among the things he said was F-d up , was he said the timing belt was on backwards, ( what ?)
Is it even possible to put a timing belt on backwards on a 3.4 V6 ?

Hi guys,
My son and I were trying to save my ex wife some $$ by installing a new timing belt on her 99 3.4 V6 Forerunner.
I installed a new belt fot her about 10 years ago and it was simple project and ran fine .
This tine , I supplied the driveway and the tools and my son did the work.
It seemed to run fine except for some fuel injector issues ,…
At this point it was turned ovef to a professional mechanic, who got it all straightened out.
Among the things he said was F-d up , was he said the timing belt was on backwards, ( what ?)
Is it even possible to put a timing belt on backwards on a 3.4 V6 ?
Was it a Liberal or Conservative belt?:lol:
All the ones I have seen have no bias, go either way.
I would like to ask him to show me the arrow.

Was it a Liberal or Conservative belt?:lol:
All the ones I have seen have no bias, go either way.
I would like to ask him to show me the arrow.

That’s for the reply Splitshot ,…I’m pretty pissed that the mechanic made that remark,…I think I will go to the parts house and check one out , I don’t see how the hell they could be directional

Physically, they are not directional. If you care about the timing marks printed on the belt (factory Toyota belt), then it goes on one way.

Andreas

Hey there! Installing a timing belt backward can indeed cause issues. The arrow on the belt usually indicates the correct direction. It's worth checking the belt from the parts house to see if there's any direction indicated. While it might be frustrating, mistakes can happen. Good on you for tackling the project with your son. Just make sure to double-check things next time or seek expert advice if needed. Happy wrenching! 🛠️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom