Is it OK to run a 40 amp DC to DC charger on 180 amp OEM Land Cruiser alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it OK to run a 40 amp DC to DC charger on 180 amp OEM 2016 Land Cruiser alternator?

Should be fine just make sure you are using properly sized wiring. Keep the voltage drop under 3% at full load.

I have heard rule of thumb of no more than 50% charger to alternator size, but probably safer to limit to 33%.

I would look into whatever shenanigans the "smart" alternator may try to pull off, if that's what you have. There may be some subtleties there beyond the mere capacity to do it. May not be an issue (I have no idea), but I'd check, just to be safe.

Should be a temperature compensating alternator on the 200, not a smart alternator.

Plenty of folks run a 25A, 30A or even 50A DC-DC converter on the 200 without issue. But unless you need the fast charge rates I would recommend the lower powered chargers as there are other things to consider when running the higher powered ones (heat dissipation, large wire size and price to name a few).

Thanks !!

The 40 amp from the many reviews seems to be safe work good in the LC200 for the Lithium. 25 would be the selection if running an AGM battery.

I have talked to a tech at Redarc with some questions not too long ago, he was very helpful and this being Oz, I'm sure they are familiar with the 200. It's a local US number.

Is it OK to run a 40 amp DC to DC charger on 180 amp OEM 2016 Land Cruiser alternator?
What?
IMO, Yes. Neither the two values are relevant.
RedArc, hampered by potential liability, derived their 'charts' for this sort of thing specifically for US sales. (maybe NZ too lol)
Apart from extreme and relatively brief situations, your alternator will otherwise never output 180 amps constantly, just like the 40A BCDC will never output 40A constantly. Both have the capacity to do so, but it's an exception rather than the rule when they do.

Thanks.

The 40 amp DC to DC is installed now and is working good.

Also tested the 2000 watt inverter and it's working good also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom