Ironman Awning LED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the tips! So far this thing is Awesome!

We went up to a mountain cabin and I got to use the awning a few separate times. First night we set it up there was a constant rain with little to no wind. Made sure to angle the awning slightly and it was bone dry. Led light was super bright and seems reliably wired. Next afternoon set it back up in perfect weather and enjoyed the shade.

Drove over 800 miles with it and road noise was minimal. Overall I am very impressed with the awning and am looking forward to logging some hours under it in the coming months.

View attachment 1487246

View attachment 1487247

View attachment 1487248
just wondering where did you tap the power for the LED in the awning?

just wondering where did you tap the power for the LED in the awning?

If you get the IronMan awning, it comes with the LED strip that slides into the sail track. It comes with a rheostat to adjust the brightness and a long cord to plug into a 12v socket in the truck. I have a 12v socket in the rear console that is wired for constant power. I just leave the rear door window cracked slightly and run the cord thru there down to the socket. Been VERY impressed with the IronMan awning. I also have an ARB and can say that the IronMan is easily the equal of the ARB....and slightly better considering the lower price point.

If you get the IronMan awning, it comes with the LED strip that slides into the sail track. It comes with a rheostat to adjust the brightness and a long cord to plug into a 12v socket in the truck. I have a 12v socket in the rear console that is wired for constant power. I just leave the rear door window cracked slightly and run the cord thru there down to the socket. Been VERY impressed with the IronMan awning. I also have an ARB and can say that the IronMan is easily the equal of the ARB....and slightly better considering the lower price point.
are you running dual battery setup? Just wondering how long I could run it before worrying about running the battery down. May have to think of another solution. Don't want to risk getting stranded

are you running dual battery setup? Just wondering how long I could run it before worrying about running the battery down. May have to think of another solution. Don't want to risk getting stranded

Single battery. NAPA Legend75 Series 49 AGM battery. 96ah. Zero concern about an LED light strip depleting a battery. You could run several for days on end without issue. The light strip uses VERY little energy. I run a fridge as well, but that's an entirely different ball of wax. I would recommend having a NOCO GB40 at minimum though. That's a fantastic little "jump" pack that can come in handy if you did deplete the battery. I also run a NOCO Genius5 automatic smart charger. I plug it into the rig at least 1x/week and let the house current top off the battery. That helps maximize battery health.

is this what you are talking about https://amzn.to/2QFlsvb ?

i haven't had to jump start this V8 yet but can this jumper do it? I always had a hell of a time trying to jump the v8 in my M5

Yup, that's it. It can store enough energy to crank our starter more than 20x off a single charge. Really impressive little device. Haven't needed to use it on my rig yet. But, I've used it to start no fewer than 6 different vehicles whose drivers were stranded by dead batteries. Everything from a Cooper Mini to an Ford F250. Along with a decent compressor (Viair 88p for instance), this is a staple of my off-grid kit.

I can vouch for the Noco as well. I got the GB150 when it was posted here on mud during Black Friday sale for 50-60% off, and I haven’t met a car or truck that it hasn’t been able to start. It jumped my car from completely dead battery several times.

I will preface this by saying I love the Ironman setup, and with the recent group buy prices it almost seems like a no brainer.

I got my ARB 2500x2500 awning from 4 wheel parts with led strip included for about 300 bucks after discount, and I have been very happy with it. I would be happy with the Ironman setup as well. My point is the ARB awnings do come with a led strip built in now (they stopped shipping them separately so people don’t have to slide in the strip into the pocket themselves). It has bright white, amber and a mixed mode that alternates between bright white and amber. Also, it uses 1-20w depending on dim settings and which light mode. I was surprised to find the amber mode uses almost twice as much power!

As far as bugs go, if I’m camping in buggy area I do put up the awning room and put the light strip in there. It works to my advantage as any bugs that gets in will gravitate towards the light, then I take my portable vacuum and run it along the strip and my awning room stays mostly bug free most of the time. The vacuum is nice for keeping floor of awning room clean as well. One tip is to put LED strip on side opposite to door, so bugs don’t fly into the car. I even roll down window to pass air conditioning to the awning room and that helps with the bugs too by getting rid of the humidity/heat. Yes, I do drive around with a Window AC mounted in the car and sticking out the window.

8E9FA3C8-0C19-4775-9D72-B766C5A99B09.jpeg

015D4277-1956-4806-98B6-2176EB42917A.jpeg

6949C777-64DE-4CA1-834D-29387C9EA097.jpeg

F00AE253-31C7-44B4-9042-E7D0B359AC25.jpeg

My Ironman awning has been excellent. I have never considered the bugs to be an issue, because they are horrendous with or without light. Eventually I will hardwire a switch somewhere so I don't have to plug the awning in each time. Will be running off my auxiliary battery.

@SharpeCat your glamping game is next level!

Just ordered the Ironman awning and room. I have been working towards this purchase for almost two years now.
Hopefully they will be here before our next trip in mid October.

is this what you are talking about https://amzn.to/2QFlsvb ?

i haven't had to jump start this V8 yet but can this jumper do it? I always had a hell of a time trying to jump the v8 in my M5

Yup! That's the exact one I've used for years now. It is an excellent thing to have.

Bumping an old thread, anyone know if the LEDs are rated for 24v by any chance? There isnt info about that on the Ironman site.

I can vouch for the Noco as well. I got the GB150 when it was posted here on mud during Black Friday sale for 50-60% off, and I haven’t met a car or truck that it hasn’t been able to start. It jumped my car from completely dead battery several times.

I will preface this by saying I love the Ironman setup, and with the recent group buy prices it almost seems like a no brainer.

I got my ARB 2500x2500 awning from 4 wheel parts with led strip included for about 300 bucks after discount, and I have been very happy with it. I would be happy with the Ironman setup as well. My point is the ARB awnings do come with a led strip built in now (they stopped shipping them separately so people don’t have to slide in the strip into the pocket themselves). It has bright white, amber and a mixed mode that alternates between bright white and amber. Also, it uses 1-20w depending on dim settings and which light mode. I was surprised to find the amber mode uses almost twice as much power!

As far as bugs go, if I’m camping in buggy area I do put up the awning room and put the light strip in there. It works to my advantage as any bugs that gets in will gravitate towards the light, then I take my portable vacuum and run it along the strip and my awning room stays mostly bug free most of the time. The vacuum is nice for keeping floor of awning room clean as well. One tip is to put LED strip on side opposite to door, so bugs don’t fly into the car. I even roll down window to pass air conditioning to the awning room and that helps with the bugs too by getting rid of the humidity/heat. Yes, I do drive around with a Window AC mounted in the car and sticking out the window.

View attachment 2417042

View attachment 2417043

View attachment 2417044

View attachment 2417046
Looks pretty solid. And nice toys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom