Inverter _ Safer to run 12V or 220V up the door pillars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to have a 220 volt AC supply in my roof consol to charge camera batteries and run lap tops etc. A 500w unit has served us well up untill now, but the new car, a 76 Station Wagon is limited in space.
the roof consol can hold the inverter, but it can also reside under the dash if need be.
So, is it safer to run 12 wires or 220v ac wires up the roof pillar . I could use the body as the earth to save on cable runs, but I believe inverters are happier with good heavy wires directly on to the battery.
I have probally answered my own question as i guess that the 220v wires would be less bulkey and possibly easier to put additional shielding on.
I would appriciate any further thoughts on the matter,

G

Great question. I have always wondered about this. A friend of mine installed a 1200 watt inverter in the back of his truck, and he had to run serious gauge wire (#6) to supply them. So I asked why he didn't just mount the inverter closer to the battery and just run a much smaller 14 gauge wiring to the back. He didn't have a good answer.

After some thought I concluded that it would be better to run AC wiring, as long as proper grounding procedures are followed and a GFCI breaker right near the inverter. They make special marine GFCI breakers that work well with inverters.

However, you would expose the inverter to alot of heat and dirt if you mount it next to the battery, hence shortening its life. Still, you could mount it as close to the battery, for example, on the passenger side of the firewall.

Ja, I had similar thoughts, thank you.
So now looking out for a snug dry place close to the battery. It's a 76 with an HZ , so lots of place in the engine bay, but not under the dash.
Good tip on the Marine grade CB's, thank you.
I'll post some pics when I find a good home for it.
Does anyone make a super rugged or Mil-speck inverter that woul live happily in the engine bay???

G

You cannot use the body as the earth, the ground for the Americans following along, if you run 220v cables since the body/frame is already being used as the earth for the 12v battery negative.

I would always want fused low voltage, 12v, cables running around my truck vs high voltage 220v wires....even with gfci protection

Not too sure why the earth would be a problem, could you elaborate on this please.

I agree that a fused 12v bus around the car would be nice, but inverters are current hungry and if you put one near the arce end of the cable, you would have losses unless you had a really thick cable, and you would starve other components along the way.

All INMHO

George

If the inverter uses a common ground on both the 12 v and ac side then it won't be a problem. But if they're separate or the inverter is not set up with a separate neutral there could be a problem with GFCI function.

This prob must have been solved by the Marine folks though. More research needed.

Good advice and easy enough to check thank you.
Hey, if it's the same earth, then how about an earth leakage breaker as oposed to just a circuit breaker???

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom