Introduction / Seeking information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Grant Hartman and I am going to be moving to the Reno area in early April for work. My wife and 2 kids will join me after the spring school semester finishes. We will be leaving the plains of southeast Kansas and could not be more excited. Right now I have a mildly built 1998 LX470 but am contemplating getting into a 200 series. (attached some pictures for attention)

I am planning on officially joining the club when I get moved. I do have a question though specifically about housing. We will be selling our home here in Kansas but plan on renting for the time being in either Reno, Sparks or Carson City. We
IMG-3537.jpg
have been combing Zillow, Realtor.com and Facebook Marketplace and have definitely found some 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes that would work, however, I wanted to reach out to anyone with knowledge or contacts in the area (realtors or landlords) that may be able to help expedite the process of looking for housing when I am halfway across the country.

Hopefully this makes sense and I cannot wait to meet you all in person soon, take care.

IMG-3536.jpg

IMG-3533.jpg

Hey everyone,

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Grant Hartman and I am going to be moving to the Reno area in early April for work. My wife and 2 kids will join me after the spring school semester finishes. We will be leaving the plains of southeast Kansas and could not be more excited. Right now I have a mildly built 1998 LX470 but am contemplating getting into a 200 series. (attached some pictures for attention)

I am planning on officially joining the club when I get moved. I do have a question though specifically about housing. We will be selling our home here in Kansas but plan on renting for the time being in either Reno, Sparks or Carson City. We have been combing Zillow, Realtor.com and Facebook Marketplace and have definitely found some 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes that would work, however, I wanted to reach out to anyone with knowledge or contacts in the area (realtors or landlords) that may be able to help expedite the process of looking for housing when I am halfway across the country.

Hopefully this makes sense and I cannot wait to meet you all in person soon, take care.

Welcome! Can't wait to meet you in person. It is strange we are about to lose @gregnash and his Hunde to Kansas and Kansas is giving us another Hunde to take his place. ;)

We rented from Erika Lamb, the owner of Home | Welcome Home Reno Real Estate And Property Management - https://welcomehm.com and she is the best property manager I have ever dealt with (lifetime renter). She charges a bit more to the property owners (so rent might be a little higher) but is VERY attentive and wants every tenant to have all the support they need. So much so that she fought the owner on our behalf when we left to ensure we got almost all of our deposit back. Pretty rare.

My .02: avoid Sparks. Focus on Hidden Valley, Demonte Ranch, SW and NW Reno when looking for a place. I live in SW Reno on Mt. Rose Hwy and Wedge Pkwy right now but we are planning on moving to Carson City toward the end of this year or early 2023... Mostly because I don't have to smog my vehicles there! ;)

Check out our website: battleborncruisers.com, and our facebook page: facebook.com/groups/battleborncruisers and feel free to hit me up directly if you need anything.

Thank you for the reply Tony! I will make sure to look into that information.

I have been casually perusing the forum threads recently and saw that other member will be moving to KC, luckily they have a very good Toyota Club, just not near the availability explore that is available out west, obviously.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Thank you for the reply Tony! I will make sure to look into that information.

I have been casually perusing the forum threads recently and saw that other member will be moving to KC, luckily they have a very good Toyota Club, just not near the availability explore that is available out west, obviously.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

No worries. I want to give him crap for leaving the area to go to the flat lands, but love makes guys do crazy things!

I've lived here for 30 years, born and raised, 32 years old now. The people are wonderful and it has its charm from a geographic standpoint at times. Personally, I have always had that weird internal love of the mountains...so it goes without saying I am more than excited for the next chapter in life.

I've lived here for 30 years, born and raised, 32 years old now. The people are wonderful and it has its charm from a geographic standpoint at times. Personally, I have always had that weird internal love of the mountains...so it goes without saying I am more than excited for the next chapter in life.

I was raised in the high deserts of Southern California so much of my formidable years were spent offroad in the deserts, including Johnson Valley before KOH made it a thing. But the Los Angeles and San Bernardino mountain ranges were 45 mins away so I spent plenty of time at high elevations too. I am absolutely a mountain man at heart too.

Housing is crazy right now. Hard to be picky but patience will pay off. Commuting here is different than Kansas. Here, there are only a few major routes to travel on. Where you work will affect your preferred location. There are some roads that make certain commutes a lot worse than they should be. You can move 5 miles and gain or lose 30 minutes of commute time and gain or lose a great school if you have kids.

Yea the schools are a biggie. Something my wife and I are trying to take into account. Appreciate the heads up

Then anything from south Reno to Carson are good choices. South Reno to anything north of I80 can get frustrating, depends on what you are used to.
As for schools, the district handled COVID poorly.
Hopefully they get back on track this year, my kids are off to college anyway.

We did like Pleasant Valley Elementary when the kids were there.
Bonus: the septic tank limits overcrowding.

Pleasant valley elementary is amazing. Marce Herz Middle School is also pretty impressive, and new, so that's a big bonus. Herz is also STEM oriented, like Galena High School, so those are pluses to me.

Just seeing this too and I think you had commented on my KS/MO post. Looks like we will be ships passing. I will be on the road heading that way on April 4th/5th to make the final trek out there. Figure will be stopping in Fruita/Grand Junction where my gf's family lives and stay the night with them (about 12hrs from Carson) and then head to possibly Hays or Salina for second leg of the journey. Gf is adamant about me NOT pulling the remaining 14hrs from Fruita/GJ but we shall see.

Good luck with work and you guys will love the area. There is plenty that I am going to miss out here but I have never lived anywhere else other than the Central Valley of California (where I grew up) and thus the time has come for me to spread my wings. Universe saw it fit to hand me something phenomenal (work and life related) but still have to put in some work towards.

Appreciate the kind words. The Midwest has given me a wonderful life thus far but like you, circumstances dictate a new adventure and my family and I are fully on board. We love everything outdoors and could not be more excited.

What part of KC are you living?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom