Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone--I'm new to the group and to "Land Cruiser" ownership. I used quotes because I set out to buy a Land Cruiser but ended up with an LX 570. 2014 in Starfire Pearl. It's interesting how many more of these seem to be on the market than Land Cruisers, but I guess that reflects Toyota's commercial strategy in the U.S. as much as anything.

Anyhow, I love my LX and plan to keep it forever. My dad, now in his seventies, bought a '97 series 80 when he was my age, and still has it, so I guess that counts for something. I'm a car guy in general, with an interest in authentic, high-quality cars that represent the best of a specific breed. The LX shares garage space with my wife's Mk7.5 GTI and my daughter's aging Accord (best sleeper ever).

I found the LX at a Lexus dealer in northern Virginia (Lindsey), and plan to keep its FLSH intact. It's in like-new condition, apart from surface rust on the frame where the front and rear cross-members meet the ends of the frame rails. I got under there with a wire brush and some POR. Which leads to my question: Can anyone recommend aftermarket skid plates? the originals are looking a little lacy on the edges, and I'd like to consider something like ARB replacements as well as going the OEM route. Not that this truck will see much time off-pavement....

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome, and gotta share pics!
Also if you want to replace your skids with a factory set let me know. You're local to me, I'm almost positive the skids off a LC will work on the LX.

Cool, thanks. Pix on the way...
Welcome, and gotta share pics!
Also if you want to replace your skids with a factory set let me know. You're local to me, I'm almost positive the skids off a LC will work on the LX.

Total chaos aluminum is a reasonable solution for the skids. Budbuilt as well.
Lx sliders run they either Metaltech 4x4 or Slee.

Congratulations.

For skid plates, the OEM Are probably fine if you don’t go off-road. Despite being plastic, they have pretty good coverage.

There are a few fans of the ARB skids on here, due to the light weight. Rival has some interesting products at a nice price point they’re worth looking at.

Slee and Budbuilt are next level.

I run the Budbuilt aluminum, but think that’d probably be overkill for you given your description. I am a fan of the people, the company, and their business ethics as much as I am a fan of the engineering philosophy, American sourced quality construction materials and top notch fabrication.

Congratulations.

For skid plates, the OEM Are probably fine if you don’t go off-road. Despite being plastic, they have pretty good coverage.

There are a few fans of the ARB skids on here, due to the light weight. Rival has some interesting products at a nice price point they’re worth looking at.

Slee and Budbuilt are next level.

I run the Budbuilt aluminum, but think that’d probably be overkill for you given your description. I am a fan of the people, the company, and their business ethics as much as I am a fan of the engineering philosophy, American sourced quality construction materials and top notch fabrication.
Yep, those are important factors. I agree. Here’s a question: can anyone identify the purpose of this part? I removed it to derust the undercarriage, and in the process snapped two bolts. So it stayed off. It seems like an anchoring point for the other skid plates, but I want to make sure it doesn’t serve some more vital function. Thanks!

9E9F254E-E0B1-4DA8-86B1-DFA9C75D6889.jpeg

0E8CA7A4-CCBF-42CC-A6EC-A306BA3BF538.jpeg

It is the part that joins the left and right halves of the stock skid plates.

Cool, thanks. Pix on the way...
Finally got around to taking some shots of the new-to-me LX. Pretty basic Starfire Pearl '14 in high mode with 285/55 R20 Bridgestone Duelers. All I've done so far is some spot rust treatment, and I have Bud Built skids on order to replace the rusty OEM pieces. No drips, leaks, seeps, sounds or smells, and just did the 90k service. Here's to many years and miles to come! Thanks for building and maintaining such a great community and letting us Lexus guys in.

Finally got around to taking some shots of the new-to-me LX. Pretty basic Starfire Pearl '14 in high mode with 285/55 R20 Bridgestone Duelers. All I've done so far is some spot rust treatment, and I have Bud Built skids on order to replace the rusty OEM pieces. No drips, leaks, seeps, sounds or smells, and just did the 90k service. Here's to many years and miles to come! Thanks for building and maintaining such a great community and letting us Lexus guys in.

lx1.jpg

lx2.jpg

lx3.jpg

lx4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom