Intro post (in the right place now) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yup... loooooooong time browser, first time poster. I actually have/had a low 5-digit pbb member number, but left there when I sold my old 4Runner and the ensuing Canukistan takeover has kept me away from forums.

Until now.

I acquired a 1989 FJ62 project in payment for some work I am doing on an 88 FJ62. The thing is a basket case. I need to weld patches into the floor pan (2 large holes) and fish plate a couple spots on the frame. If the frame proves worse than I think, some rectangle DOM can make a replacement frame, with lowered spring mounts for a free couple inches of height.

Next, I need to score a back window to secure it from the weather... and get the passenger window working. For now, I have a heated shop to park it in, but it has sat outdoors for years in its current condition.

Beyond, figure out why the heater core is bypassed (is it leaking, a bad shutoff valve, or what?), and source new A/C components (compressor and condenser are missing, along with all hoses under the hood). I also need a new right side headlight assembly, left taillight lens, and figure out some front turn signals (possibly LED housings with DRLs, get white inners as DRL and get amber DRLs in the outers wired into the signals with an LED-compatible flasher... or both amber DRLs wired into the signals). Rebuild the brakes for good measure along the way.

At that point, it will be road worthy.

Then comes the build.

The right fender is smashed, so I am thinking cut fenders and a narrowed front end with partial exo. Add some rocker protection and rear quarter protection, make bumpers front and rear, and get some ARB lockers in there (doubling as on-board air, possibly even using the upper hoop of the front bumper as an air tank) and a re-gear. I was also thinking a longer front shackle, coupled with shims for the perches, to bring the front up enough to clear 35s with the narrowed and cut fenders (the rear should already be able to clear them). Add tunes and rock lights, and I should have a complete, budget crawler for about $10k.

Add in some form of camping ability, and I can make it an overlander for not much more.

What am I missing? Having been out of the game for a decade, I'm sure there are advancements I could have never dreamed possible back then.

^ Truth

This one:
cruiser.jpg

As payment for finishing the (re)build of this one:
billybobs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom