Intermittent/Jumpy tachometer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Post above describes everything up to this point.

Just did a 1000 mile round trip and my tach would not give me consistent readings. By this I mean it works as intended for a little bit (maybe 30 minutes, maybe 2 hours), and then the needle will just jump around for a bit and eventually sit at 0 like its dead. I can tap the cover of the gauge cluster with some success, so I have a feeling that it's a continuity issue. Initially the needle started jumping around as a result of driving on a very washboarded out road, but I've noticed it on smooth highway as well.

I've adjusted the depth of the hardware on the back of the tach itself via trial and error and have found that if the screws are maxed out, the tach needle tends to do the same. Is there a sweet spot I'm missing? I think that the screws might not be conducting enough electricity to send from the copper tach pickups to the copper printed thing on the back of the cluster.

My next steps are as follows:

1. Apply dilectric grease to all connections in the circuit, especially where the sender plugs in on top of the trans. This was left open for some time and might be nasty.
  2. Get the correct hardware for attaching the gauge to the harness (8316120080 x3 )
  3. Have the tach repaired? I pulled the unit and inspected all soldered joints closely... didn't notice anything that looked blown or disconnected.
  4. LAST resort is buying a new tach. Don't want to buy a $400 part if I don't need to. Is there an aftermarket option I could hack into there?
Has anybody else had to deal with this problem? I've pulled the damn gauge cluster in and out 10+ times now and am getting quite fast at it unfortunately.

I haven't dealt with this problem but I have a 70 series tach I can send if you want to see if it makes any difference.

IMG_20200725_144628.jpg

IMG_20200725_144634.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom