Possible rare 7x interior part, and tachometer application help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my new-to-me LHD 70series, I have this headlight adjustment dial on the left side of the dash. Anyone seen this before? Know of a part #? I haven't been able to find it on Partsouq or Amayama. Would like to try to find a spare if possible, and use this housing for a different purpose.

Also, my BJ71/73/74-style gauge cluster has this "TURBO" tachometer with a "redline" beginning at 5k. Engine is a 1HD-T conversion. I've Google searched, searched Mud including 22pgs of chrisspaulding posts (JoeK thought he might have had a write-up on this style tach for a 2LT--I didn't find anything)...just curious which 7x this might be out of so that I document the changes.

Thanks for helping out a newb.

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

Last edited:
That knob is part of an automatic headlight adjustment system that came on Euro-spec Cruisers, it levels the headlight beams when the vehicle is loaded down.

Your tachometer looks like it might be from a 2L-T powered 70-series, the later 2L-TE tachometer would have a check engine symbol next to the RH led. Normally the two black plugs would be little LED's, the LH one is green that comes on when there is more than a couple of pounds of boost.

The two LED Turbo tachometer appears in a 1989 Euro spec LJ73 with 2L-T…

IMG_1487.jpeg

From an English version 70 series owners manual….

55E228A9-22DA-4B08-9FE8-5E1EDB9E6470.jpeg

Hi FJ73Texas, could you send the whole page (or the whole manual!), I’m curious what else it mentions about these lights and operation…

I believe the system is outlined in RM183.

It doesn't appear that the lights for the turbo are replaceable.

tach.JPG

I think a few ME and other countries have pretty stringent laws against using headlights that are too strong or improper height so they have to offer these mechanisms to adjust for load etc.,

Last edited:
WOW, thanks to all for the help on sorting these part #s/applications out. Your collective Cruiser knowledge is immense.

I'll keep my non-functioning headlight adjuster dial and re-use the housing for a different purpose.
Quick links for anyone looking to add these parts;
Toyota 55433-60010-S7 (5543360010S7) PANEL, INSTRUMENT PANEL FINISH, LOWER NO.2 - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/5543360010s7 (note the # updates to the Toyota 55433-60110-B0 (5543360110B0) PANEL, INSTRUMENT PANEL FINISH, LOWER NO.2 - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/5543360110b0 as FJ73 mentioned).

I've seen 1HD-T tach redlines start about 4200rpms, so unsure why mine (has a shorty 2.5" SS exhaust and big FMIC) is running the 2LT tach with a 5000rpm redline...I'll just remember to keep my revs to about 4k max to keep my HD-T happy.

I believe the system is outlined in RM183.
Sorry, what is RM183? I was also curious how the adjuster mechanism would actually work.

I think a few ME and other countries have pretty stringent laws against using headlights that are too strong or improper height so they have to offer these mechanisms to adjust for load etc.,
Right. Mandatory e.g. in Europe since 1990 latest (as per my knowledge). A common topic for required upgrades or official excemption to imported vehicles to get those registered.
Function-wise it's usually a servomotor on the headlight bracket.. Never looked at the actual parts on a 90s LC, though. But must be somwhere in the parts diagrams for respective models.
and re-use the housing for a different purpose.
We are curious: What for? (Or did I miss that info?)
Cheers Ralf

That knob is part of an automatic headlight adjustment system that came on Euro-spec Cruisers, it levels the headlight beams when the vehicle is loaded down.

Your tachometer looks like it might be from a 2L-T powered 70-series, the later 2L-TE tachometer would have a check engine symbol next to the RH led. Normally the two black plugs would be little LED's, the LH one is green that comes on when there is more than a couple of pounds of boost.
Teeniest clarification. It's not automatic but it is required in the UK and other European countries as already mentioned.

Last edited:
Right. Mandatory e.g. in Europe since 1990 latest (as per my knowledge). A common topic for required upgrades or official excemption to imported vehicles to get those registered.
Function-wise it's usually a servomotor on the headlight bracket.. Never looked at the actual parts on a 90s LC, though. But must be somwhere in the parts diagrams for respective models.

We are curious: What for? (Or did I miss that info?)
Cheers Ralf

Thank you for the information Ralf.
I will be installing a new OEM front "foglight" switch for use with a Lazer Lamps Linear LED light bar on the roof rack. The position of this switch housing near the steering wheel will be safer/easier to use than a switch below the HVAC controls.

PS--Leverkusen!! I drove through a few times when purchasing my Cruiser in Burscheid. I will send you a message and see if you are friends with my new friend there who has a long history with Buschtaxi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom