Interior Plastic Refurb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a while back I read on a post by Shane (MetricTLC) that he used a blowtorch to improve the look of interior plastics that had been faded or scratched. I have been wanting to try this for a while and had the opportunity this weekend with a center console that I got from wrecked LX450.

I am including a few shot of BEFORE so you can see the improvements. It by no-means fixes everything, but it does a pretty good job of resurrecting tired/faded plastics and making them look new(er) and like they have had some type of conditioner applied.

Before:
2016-06-18 15.49.31.jpg
2016-06-18 15.49.37.jpg
2016-06-18 15.49.41.jpg
2016-06-18 15.49.44.jpg
2016-06-18 15.49.49.jpg

I used a heat gun on some of the plastic on my 80, and it worked really well. Tried it on the 200 glove box with the heavily textured surface, and it did not work as well.

I have done a first pass on all the parts and I can definitely say it improved the looks of all the pieces.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being perfect... the pieces started off as a solid 1-2. They are now all about a 7-8. That may be good enough for me as some of the areas are hidden by the seats, etc...

More photos to come...

Its a 118 in the shade in my backyard. Think I will unbolt center console and place it in the sun for a few hours and I should be good to go with a new finish

Its a 118 in the shade in my backyard. Think I will unbolt center console and place it in the sun for a few hours and I should be good to go with a new finish
LOL nature's heat gun...

No need to unbolt anything. It is hotter in the cabin with all windows up! You just need to move your car out of your garage. My interior is in perfect condition because I have windows up all the time and park outside :)

IMG_1580.JPG
LOL nature's heat gun...

This was the temperature of the dash in my sons Camry a 10am on Saturday

View attachment 1278430

This was the temperature of the dash in my sons Camry a 10am on Saturday
I heard a story yesterday about a woman baking cookies in her car. Funny & sad at the same time.

Has anyone used vinyl or plastic dye/kote on their 80 interior? I have been watching videos about the use of SEM products that looks pretty impressive.

Home | SEM Products

Those SEM interior paints get pretty good reviews on yotatech. I plan on trying them out when I start doing the interior of the 4Runner.

I ordered SEM Monterey as well as Rustoleum Textured Bronze. These seem to be the two recommended brands/colors. Also picked up the adhesion promoter to make sure it sticks!

Searched mud and didn't find any reference to it.

Received the Rust-oleum yesterday, SEM stuff delivers Friday.

Should have an update this weekend.

The Rust-oleum 7226 Bronze (Textured) paint was a match for the speaker grill. Didn't even try the SEM (15723 Monterey) yet. I will keep that for future use.

I finished up by putting a coat of Trinova Plastic & Trim restorer on the plastic surfaces and attaching the recovered armrest from the MetricTLC leather kit.

All-in-all I think it turned out pretty good. I still need to make a blanking-plate to cover the spot where the CD changer used to be...
2016-06-24 15.22.19.jpg
2016-06-24 15.22.24.jpg
2016-06-24 15.22.32.jpg
2016-06-24 15.22.43.jpg
2016-06-24 15.23.02.jpg

Verry nice!

One (somewhat related) thing that I have learned about OEM parts for beige/brown interior Land Cruiser/LX's is that they are being discontinued in-favor of generic grey/uncolored parts.

For example... The "pads" that go between the fender flares and the fenders. Mine are beige to match the flares... That color is no-longer available, it only comes in dark grey. Same for the rubber moulding/seal around the inside of the front doors...

Mr. T is still supplying some of the parts, but not in your choice of colors. It will become necessary to paint or dye parts going forward if you want them to match your interior...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom